• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep tried to catch on fire

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well took the jeep for a little run down the highway with the doors off. After a few min. I noticed the dome lights flashing on and off then I smelled something burning like rubber seemed electrical to me. Anyone have any ideas what it could have been or a way to bypass the dome lights and stuff like that?
DIG IT!

I guess the first question would be to ask where the smoke was from - there's a lot of good opportunity for losing smoke from the wires...

no smoke just could smell the burning smell but I just remembered that I only have 11psi in my tires and I was running down the highway. I hope that was the smell I smelt. But I still have the dome light issue
DIG IT!

Having the dome light ON for a long period of time might have heated it enough to start melting the plastic lens/cover. As for disabling them, remove the bulb.

-jb

The dome light circuit has power at all times when the ignition is on. The switches in the door post just complete the ground for the circuit. Indeed, if the dome lights are on for too long they will overheat and start melting the plastic lenses. You can do a couple of things: (1) remove the bulbs; (b) remove the fuse (I don't know what else that might disable); or (3) make a small metal cover plate/tab that you can screw onto the door post to hold the switch plunger in. If you make it oblong and use only one screw, then you can swing it out of the way when the doors are in place for normal operation.

If you want to get your hands a little dirty and take a little time, you can always pull out the switch int he door and rewire it as a toggle switch, mounted anywhere in the interior. That way you can still have your interior light on when you want it on.

Back