• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size tires

94_2wdcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all
I am goin to put a 5 inch lift on my jeep and i dont know what size tires to put on it with the stock rims. Iam not goin to run it to hard offroad because it isnt a 4wd. Iam not sure between a 31" tire or a 33" inch tire and i do not want to cut any fenderwells out. all help would be appreciated.
DYLAN

94_2wdcherokee said:
Hey all
I am goin to put a 5 inch lift on my jeep and i dont know what size tires to put on it with the stock rims. Iam not goin to run it to hard offroad because it isnt a 4wd. Iam not sure between a 31" tire or a 33" inch tire and i do not want to cut any fenderwells out. all help would be appreciated.
DYLAN
are you going to regear? cause 33's will look nice, but will feel terrible on climbs up hill (freeway/highway climbs)

Stock gears stay with 31's. But if you planned on regearing, buy the 33's now, then gears, and when you have the rear end apart regearing, put a NoSlip in it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but IMHO you are approaching this backwards. Most people decide on a tire size, then go with the minimum lift needed to clear that size tire. Why minimum? Because of center of gravity, if nothing else. When you go higher, especially if you don't also go wider, the vehicle becomes more likely to tip over. When we were pre-running trails for NAC Fest recently, one of our highly modified XJs (8" of lift and 35s) tipped over on a stock-rated trail. Three of us with less lift had already gone through the same spot.

Also, if you're not going to re-gear you don't want to run 33s, but in all honesty 31s are going to look moderatly dumb on a 5" lift. Sort of like stock tires under a 3" lift.

Why don't you get 31s and a decent 3" lift and go with that? Everything will look proportional and you can save a few bucks, which is always important.

Back