• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking SS brake lines

jnackos

NAXJA Forum User
I would really like to drive my Jeep since it has been sitting in my workshop for 5 months, but I have no brakes!!!!

I just finished my lift (Full Traction 6" LA) and installed new longer SS brake lines and every one of them leak where they attach to the hard lines. I have tightened them up as much as I dare and they still leak. I pulled them all off yesterday and you can see on the SS brake line - the inner cone - where the flared hard line didn't seal. You can see where the metal made contact and where it didn't. Are the SS lines defective or do I need to reflare my hard lines? My stock brake lines weren't leaking before I replaced them. Any thoughts or tricks? Help, I need to go wheeling!!!

i just put my lift in sat and used ss brake lines and they all leaked in the same spot. i really had to crank them down. then they stopped leaking. i drove home no problems but i plan on keeping a close eye on them :wierd:

Probably a silly question, but are you guys using a double flair or a single flair on the hard lines? I’ve had problems before trying to get lines to seal with a single flair. I redid my brake system last fall and ended up cutting and flaring 3 of the hard lines. I went ahead and replaced the rotting factory lines with longer Russell stainless steel lines and haven’t had a bit of problems with them yet. What brand lines are you using?

I've installed quite a few sets of s/s brake lines and noticed that they are much tougher/harder than the mild steel lines and do require more torque to seal.
I've also had a few sets that refused to seal up and found upon closer examination that the hole in the flare nut itself wasn't concentric and didn't line up properly with the tubing flare.

The hard brake lines are stock - single flared.

How tight did you have to torque them down before they sealed? I'm afraid I am going to strip the threads. Has one brand of SS lines been better for you than others?

Thanks!

Part of the seal on the flare is the crush, if they have been resealed a few too many times and/or overtightened they don´t have much crush left, metal gets brittle. Often the flare will crack, really small and hard to see. I´ve got an antique bottle of metal dye/marker, really shows up the cracks (imagine a red magic marker, would work as well, too see the cracks/paint it wipe off the excess, whats left is low spots and/or cracks). The nuts sometimes get a little oval during removal, the end slightly deformed.
There are crush, inserts,to aid in seal, look like a small cone with a hole in the middle. Would only use brake approved inserts.

i know this thread is a few months old, but i didnt want to start a new one if i am having the same problem. I have a 1999 xj, and we just put on a 3.5" RE superflex lift today, rear end only. It comes with an extended rear brake line. I replaced the stock one, and it was fine, didnt leak at all. However, on the end towards the rear that mounts on the axle, the hard lines are leaking badly, but only when i mash the brakes. Could it be this flare that everyone was talking about, or the crush sleeve. One of the guys told me that there is a copper spacer that goes in there. Is he right or thinking of something else? I need help fast cus this is my DD! thanks guys

kenny

The copper washer is used where the brake line connects to the brake cylinder in the drum. You should have replaced the line connecting the hard line on the body to the hard line on the axle. Try cranking on the connectors as mentioned above.

Fred

Back