• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't turn jeep off.

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep keeps running after I pull the key out so I have to pop the hood and unplug the CPS to shut down the engine. I thought it was the ignition switch, but replacing it didn't do anything. What else could it be?

Check your Starter Solinoid (sorry about the spelling), I had one on a re-man starter I put on my Lebaron kick on while driving, and it ended up frying the wiring coming off of the starter. The parts house manager tried to say it was the car's starter relay (which you should also look at, just in case) instead (he was wrong, it was the solinoid). Another problem I had with the car towards it's end was worn linkages or connectors the them going to the switch, only the problem would keep it from doing anything when I turned the key. Dad's "quick free fix" for that was to move the column up or down to "tighten up the linkages" to start. Hopefully I've helped, or atleast pointed you in a close to correct direction.

I've heard starters will do this also ... I know a old lady that couldn't get her ford PU to stop ... just kept running. It was the starter solenoid. This was the first and only time I've ever heard of this ... until now.

I pretty much lost what little trust I had of re-mans after that incident (for those who were wondering why after reading my posts about the steering repair problems with my XJ), then I was pretty mad when he tried to blame it on the car (this was after the starter that we put on a week before had the solinoid scews fall out in the lot at my work, if we'd just put the screws back in that probably wouldn't have happened).

Happened to me when I first bought my Jeep. I'd try to turn it off, but it would still try and crank. It was the solenoid, stuck to crank mode. Fried my starter too.

Thanks for the replies. I don't understand how the soleniod of the starter would keep the jeep from turnin off. I thought turning the key just told the computer to stop giving spark and fuel, what does the soleniod have to do with it? Not that I don't trust your advice, just trying to understand how this works.
Oh, and how do I test the solenoid? Should I just pull the starter entirely and clean out/regrease the entire unit?
Thanks.

Apparently, what happened to mine, is that the solenoid somehow managed to stick in the crank position. What this meant was even when the Jeep was idling, you could still here the starter cranking. The solenoid is the "switch" for this operation.

By the solenoid being stuck, the electric starter motor just kept cranking, so when I would try and kill the engine, the starter would already be starting it up again.

I just disconnected the battery, and got a new starter and solenoid. I really don't understand it beyond this....

If I remember right, it's caused by an electrical short in the solenoid, and is the damnedest thing to experience (confused the hell outta me). The computer does cut fuel and spark and techincally kill the motor, but the starter keeps spinning the engine, just like you had the key turned, and if you have the key in the "run" position it will start on it's own. I think Jeep had a recall on that a few years ago for the 4.0l trucks. Mainly on 5spd YJ's if I remember right.

I think it would more likely the switch linkages having too much play.

Last edited:
If I understand your post correctly your engine continues to run, not the starter perpetually trying to crank the engine. If this is the situation do not waste your time crawling under the Jeep to pull the starter. We have seen cars in our shop with incorrect alternators causing them to "run till the gas runs out" but unless you have just replaced your alternator, I doubt this is your problem. I will send you a PM with a little more info.

Back