• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4cyl running temps?

BlueMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Noticed I had a coolant leak...looked like the thermo, replaced it, no prob. Get MJ running again, water pump was the leaky culprit, just along the very top edge...not too bad will replace it later.

Noticed that my thermostat opens up when engine temp reaches 220. Idles just above 210, but when driving (sustained 30 to 80 mph) the temp stays just below 220. I seem to remember it hovering just above 210 and never getting even close to 220.

I believe I replaced the thermo with a 190 or 195 degree thermo...will the 5 degree diff in the thermos cause a higher running temp?

What temp does your 4 banger run at?

Mine runs cooler than that but I have an after-market radiator. It never gets to the 220 mark even under heavy load. I usually run closer to 200 at least by my gauge and maybe get to 210 climbing the grade out of Denver. I always use the oem thermostat. It just seems to work best. If you are using a hotter thermo because of heating problems then clean out your heater core. They plug up fast. If you already know this then ignore. :gag:

The temp was fine at 210 with the OEM replacement radiator and 2nd thermo, now with the 3rd thermo it runs just under 220. I wonder if the parts monkey at NAPA gave me a hotter thermo.

More than likely your temp guage isn't accurate.

Back