• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How big is too big for a Daily driver?

bigmatt

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the planning stages/parts gathering of an axle swap/lift on my XJ. This will be a part time daily driver and will see some trail action. Plan now is around 8" lift and running 37" tires. Is this too big for a daily driver XJ? The DD duties are split between the XJ and my one ton Chevy pickup on 39s.

if you can afford the gas, go for it.

you will NOT get over 12mpg.

your town mileage will SUCK ASS.

go buy a cheap VW for a couple bucks to beat around it. It'll pay for itself in no time.

86-92 ;)

I guess you're used to getting in and out of a big truck if you've got a oneton on 39s. I'm at 7" and 35s and getting in and out early in the morning or real late at night can be a PITA. Maybe I'm just lazy, but when you're half awake and draggin a$$ in the morning, the last thing I wanna do is haul myself up into the Jeep.

As far as reliability and driveability is concerned, yeah, if done right, you can DD it. Done right in my opinion includes at least 1/2 ton axles, hy-steer/raised trackbar, gears, etc etc.

Ary

I think 15" of lift and 49" IROK's are too big for a daily driver just my opinion
DIG IT!

I drive my 98 daily on 37"swampers and its not all that bad with 456s I get about 12-14MPG

I have a daily driver toyota and I still drive my jeep on 35s just because I dont like driving a little gutless wonder.

I will be running a waggie D44 and AMC20. Front will have high steer and I will do something with the track bar (drop bracket and HD trackbar?). Axles with have either 4.56 or 4.88 gears, Detroit in the rear and some selectable locker up front. Current plan right now is 7.5 RE coils up front, Claytons long arm, 6" Big Offroad leafs with a 1.5" lift extended shackle. Right now I am at 5" of lift and 33s and have to step down into the XJ. I am 6'6" so the height won't be a problem especially compared to my pickup.

bigmatt said:
I will be running a waggie D44 and AMC20.....

AMC20? Isn't that the bastard child of the SWB world? Why would you choose this axle instead of an easy to find D44 rear?

-jb

bigmatt said:
I will be running a waggie D44 and AMC20. Front will have high steer and I will do something with the track bar (drop bracket and HD trackbar?). Axles with have either 4.56 or 4.88 gears, Detroit in the rear and some selectable locker up front. Current plan right now is 7.5 RE coils up front, Claytons long arm, 6" Big Offroad leafs with a 1.5" lift extended shackle. Right now I am at 5" of lift and 33s and have to step down into the XJ. I am 6'6" so the height won't be a problem especially compared to my pickup.

If your gonna gear it anyway go with at least a 5.38 in the d44s.

vintagespeed said:
AMC20? Isn't that the bastard child of the SWB world? Why would you choose this axle instead of an easy to find D44 rear?

-jb

Its not the same amc axle that you are thinking of. this axle is just as strong as a d44 that they put in the rear of some waggys.

I run IROK's 39.5, and have no idea how much lift, if you measure stock to now its about 12-14" higher. not sure if you will get 37's with out trimming or bumpstopping, I do not belive in bumpstopping just to get bigger tires. I run a 97 sport 4door. I cut hte rear fender wells out and added 12" to the center to run 39.5, I just finished trimming my front fenders after grabbing them for so long. now it looks like the 39's came stock LOL. I also use it as a daily driver. I have learned as you soon will, once you start putting all this stuff on your rig, like 37's bigger axles, roll cages, and stuff like then you tend to run harder trails, which in turn leads to carnage. SO as good advice, buy another vehicle for your daily if you are planning this. You will be happy you did, when you break on the weekend, nothing is open until Monday, or you have to pay someone to fix it, that can not get ot it for a week, and you have to drive it to work, have fun walking. Just my 2 cents.
Oh, and yes it is still my daily driver, I just didn't think about it until it was all done and I started breaking things,

CREEPERS..... Got any pics of your 97, Id love to see another newer 4door as big as mine that is used for a DD, pluse I wanna see how the 39" Iroks look on a newere 4 door since I will be getting a set of em on my 98 by the end of summer, thanks

bigmatt said:
I am in the planning stages/parts gathering of an axle swap/lift on my XJ. This will be a part time daily driver and will see some trail action. Plan now is around 8" lift and running 37" tires. Is this too big for a daily driver XJ? The DD duties are split between the XJ and my one ton Chevy pickup on 39s.

A good question is what type of trails will you be running? To DD a rig with 37's, and to run the trails that will challenge you with 37's (like someone else said), you'll need very stout and well designed components. This means strong steering with good angles, and big enough brakes. You'll also want 5.13 or deeper gears.....don't know what you can get on the Model 20 rear end.

Another question is what your own standards are for a DD. Some are happy with a marginal vehicle, and some are not. Unless you have a real good reason for needing the 37's, consider going with 35's, which could be a much better choice considering reliability. There really isn't anything you can run with 37's that you can't run with 35's. Until fairly recently, 35's were real big tires, and we're all still running the same trails. Big tires require big time and big money......not a problem if you have it, but it's not needed to run trails and have fun, especially on a daily driver.

Have fun with your project, and happy wheeling, :)

youll be fine with 8" and 37's if u can get 5.13's or lower in that amc 20. I have 10" and 35's w/ 4.88's and its still a part time DD and could drive cross country tommorow. Just cut the s*it out those fenders. Def would go arb front locker and i have nothing but good things to say about detroit in a 44 rear.

i personally feel that 33" is the max for DD duties. i have 35s for the trail and i take them off whenever i'm not wheelin and put my 33s on. I can get 20mpg with the 33s, i'd be lucky to get 15 or 16 with the 35s. It's also a lot more sluggish with the 35s, and that's with 4.88 gears.

If you don't mind paying for gas, go for the 37s. Ideally, run D60s with DEEP gears, like 5.89, get some extra power out of the motor too (stroker? supercharger?). With that kind of equipment you also get to the point of dealing with unibody rigidity and a cage is basically a neccessity.

I got to school in Jackson, and I can't imagine why you would want an XJ on 37s for DD and local trails (except for looks). There are no local trails i've ever seen or heard of that couldn't be done with 33" boggers and 2 lockers.

yea, but no where to post, I will post some on webshots

Back