• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drivline problems

scooby37008

NAXJA Forum User
I have two major problems with my 89 xj I have 6 inch springs and 1.75 shackles in the back and 6.5 springs up front I have been tearing up rear driveline parts for a couple months.
First i still have the strap style yoke on the rear dana 35 with 33x12.50. mt's
i GOT A NEW ONE FROM JEEP PROBLEM HASN'T HAPPENED
this jeep had a np242 tcase that tore up so i put a np231 i had lying around in its place I can't get it to shift more than two spots right now nuetral and 4 part time i think

Second problem i run a factory rear shaft and i had a odd problem the other night my driveshaft broke off where the tail shaft bolts to the tcase I put another tailshaft on it and replaced the yoke and ujoint but i noticed still vibrates and the outter bushing that the driveshaft goes in has came off i think because of binding this is my only car i need help fast

if i read that correctly, you are gonna need a slip yoke eliminator and a new driveshaft.

I suppose you are still running the stock XJ slip yoke? At the amount of lift you have, I'm sure it's binding. I'm also surprised it hasn't fallen right out on the street -- a friend's fell out when he went from 3" to 5" of lift.

You REALLY need a SYE and a new drive shaft, but as a short-term "fix" you should at least be running a YJ slip yoke -- it/s slightly longer, plus it is more open so it can run at more angle without binding. Keep in mind, though, that u-joints don't really like to run at extreme angles, so you may be eating u-joints frequently.

You should also check the pinion yoke to see if it's binding.

Back