• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle trouble

90indyxj

NAXJA Forum User
A few days ago I noticed that my rear dana 35 was leaking where the axle tube is pressed fit into the diff center,I went ahead and welded the axle tubes to the center section about half way around each tube . I have a jeep trip comming up soon and I hope it will hold up to the rocks in Moab while im there . Do you think welding the tubes will add more strengh ? I welded a over axle truss on 6 mounths ago thinking this would help.

1990 XJ
Dana 35
Detroit Locker
Superior Axles
Disk brakes

Yeah yeah, people say the 35 can't hack it. Well, it can for a lot of people. I personally run 33" swampers and a locker in mine and beat it up pretty bad in Moab with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. Avoid rear spring wrap (axle hop) and most D35's do fine. (flame away)

When you weld an axletube, it makes it more brittle and prone to cracking. If you weld a full circle around an axletube, you can see how this can cause some potential problems. If you already have done this, i'd fab up a quick axle truss. I welded my tubes to the diff just to keep them from rotating in the housing, but I just welded a couple spots on each side.

Good luck.

Jared:patriot:

why chance having it break on you when you need it and in an akward position to do a repair. if you like to get rowdy with any kind of meat and traction device, think about a bigger axle

DeadEyeJ said:
Yeah yeah, people say the 35 can't hack it. Well, it can for a lot of people. I personally run 33" swampers and a locker in mine and beat it up pretty bad in Moab with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. Avoid rear spring wrap (axle hop) and most D35's do fine. (flame away)

Yesterday I saw a guy with a 35 who was limping out of the trail trying to make it home:
http://tinyurl.com/3ch87
http://tinyurl.com/3yj5j
I think this says it all.

Yep, and I've seen em explode too. Of course, the engine was redlined and both of the 31's caught hard while spinning...

My point is, build for how YOU drive. I can live with a dana 35 just fine, while others can shear parts in a 14 bolt FF.

I'm so satisfied with the durability of my 35, in fact, that I am building another one for my next XJ. Why? Because it's FREE - which is substantially less than not free. If I break it, the next one will be FREE too. Bolting right in is nice too. FREE spare shafts are nice too. Need I go on?

Jared:patriot:

DeadEyeJ said:
Yep, and I've seen em explode too. Of course, the engine was redlined and both of the 31's caught hard while spinning...

My point is, build for how YOU drive. I can live with a dana 35 just fine, while others can shear parts in a 14 bolt FF.

I'm so satisfied with the durability of my 35, in fact, that I am building another one for my next XJ. Why? Because it's FREE - which is substantially less than not free. If I break it, the next one will be FREE too. Bolting right in is nice too. FREE spare shafts are nice too. Need I go on?

When i get out of work today, I'm putting brakes on a 35. It will go on my '87, (daily driver w/ 4" trail master ,31" mud terrain)
in place of the D44 that i pulled this weekend. The reason-It's free. They are shitty little axles. But I bet it will hold up to work and back for a while. ( agin, FREE)

The '92 (wheelin rig) will keep the corp 8.25 until the 44 gets geared and locked.

My point- I agree with Deadeye. Build for how you drive. I would toast the boat anchor in my trail rig, but it should be fine in the DD.

That's pretty smart what you guys are doing, in terms of the free 35's. I applaud your ballsyness :worship: . However I'd rather have a nice solid, trouble free axle that'll probably outlast the XJ (or get replaced, in that case i'll sell it).

Either way, it's awesome that your both rockin 35's. :thumbup:

90indyxj said:
A few days ago I noticed that my rear dana 35 was leaking where the axle tube is pressed fit into the diff center,I went ahead and welded the axle tubes to the center section about half way around each tube . I have a jeep trip comming up soon and I hope it will hold up to the rocks in Moab while im there . Do you think welding the tubes will add more strengh ? I welded a over axle truss on 6 mounths ago thinking this would help.

1990 XJ
Dana 35
Detroit Locker
Superior Axles
Disk brakes
I am a noob here since this is my first post but welding the outer axle tubes to the cast center is to me considered a trail fix...... the 2 types of steel have diferent expand and contraction rates when they get hot and most welds i have seen will eventualy break.

Darkmage said:
I am a noob here since this is my first post but welding the outer axle tubes to the cast center is to me considered a trail fix...... the 2 types of steel have diferent expand and contraction rates when they get hot and most welds i have seen will eventualy break.
Well ... I'm not a welder (I'm not a lawyer, either), but a friend of mine many years ago was a graduate mechanical engineer, a drag racer, and a race car fabricator on the side. He routinely welded the tubes into the pumpkins to prevent rotation under load. No trails involved, his cars only raced on asphalt. :)

Back