• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff Fluid Level After Lift?

Rough 01

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ w/8.25 rear. I just put on a 4.5" RE lift w 4* shims on rear springs. I'm also running a No-Slip locker in the 8.25. I know that the shims tilted my pinion angle up. I had just filled the diff with fluid before the install and I was slowing leaking fluid ever since.

I thought it was another bad RTV job by me and so I went to check the level tonight (to see when I had to fix the seal) and fluid just poured out(it actually burped!). It made sense to me after I thought about it. The angle changed where the fluid sits in the case. This put the level of the fluid well above the fill hole.

My question is now that I appear to be running with less fluid how much at risk are my gears and locker from overheating?

Thanks,
Rough

Gears and locker are probably less at risk than the pinion bearing and seal. You might try parking on the steepest down slope you can find, then pop the port and add as much diff lube as you can squeeze in.

Eagle,
Thanks for your reply. A follow-up question. I noticed this because it was so full it was leaking out of the rubber cap in the fill hole. Is there a better way to seal it? I'm starting to have a nice little collection of oil stains in my driveway.

Thanks,
Rough

Either find a cover with a real metal plug that threads in or get a 1"nut and bolt and weld the nut to the cover and use the bolt as your plug.

Before you do all that, try picking up a new plug. I fill my diff with the rear end on ramps and never have a problem with leaks from my rubber fill plug.

I ran my 8.25 well over 100,000 miles with a 6* shim and only filled it on a level surface.Clean the plug and the cover really well,and in the gruve(sp) inside of the plug.
Actual fill level is 1/2" below the hole,but everyone fills it until it runs out.
Wayne

RichP said:

I screwed up, I sent email to TDPERFORMANCE a couple of weeks ago for the part number for the 8.25 and they replied with 8406, when I just looked it up on clear gearz site that cover is for a D35, NOT an 8.25, sorry... however they do advertise a clear valve cover as being 'on the way'....

Back