• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good price for a 8.8

90 xj

NAXJA Forum User
i called a junk yard close to my house and they said they only wanted 100 for an 8.8, will my wheels bolt up to that axle? thanks
jake

I'd say that's pretty cheap...make sure it's a 31 spline (there's also a 28 spline), like outta an explorer or mountaineer, post '94 are disc brake

'round here they run from $200 to $400 depending on the yard's mood that day

Yes ... they are 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern which is the same as the XJ.

I paid $300 for an 8.8 out of a '96 Explorer. Like Gil said, make sure it's out of a '95 or later Explorer or '97 or later Mountaineer. It should have disc brakes, which you will want.

The axle I bought came with a Posi Lock limited skip differential which I have heard is not a bad traction device if you cannot afford a locker. The Eddy Bauer Edition axles (IIRC) come with 4.11 gearing too.

Read up on these axles. Lots of info out there on them. I'm sure happy with mine.

Les

90 xj said:
i called a junk yard close to my house and they said they only wanted 100 for an 8.8, will my wheels bolt up to that axle? thanks
jake
Yes, your wheels will bolt up to this axle. No, this axle will not bolt up to your Jeep without some work. $100 is a good price by the way.

ok i got the axle it turned out to be about 130 with tax and enviromental fees, but anyway where could i get 4.56 gears for it and will i need a new carrier for them?

90 xj said:
ok i got the axle it turned out to be about 130 with tax and enviromental fees, but anyway where could i get 4.56 gears for it and will i need a new carrier for them?

UHM... Don't want to be rude or anything, but didn't you figure out that part 1st?

oh yeah $130.00 is a sweet deal on an 8.8.

Back