• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapped engine runs great. And a lesson.

OT

NAXJA Forum User
is.php

is.php

is.php

First off, all ended up well with the engine change. It runs great and without piston slap now. I Gasket matched the intake and head which has seemed to add some higher end power. The only problem I ran into came when I tried to fire it up.

At first I wasn't getting fire or fuel. So I checked the CPS and it turned out that I broke off the bracket during the install. Fixed that with some Quick Steel and I got fuel out of the injectors, but still no fire at the plugs.

Went to work today and grabbed a used distributer to swap in, thinking it was the Cam pos. sens.. Put it in and still nothing. Just for the hell of it, thinking it may be 180 out, I swapped the plug wires around to the other side of the cap and BAM! fired right up.

Turned out the distributer WAS installed 180 out. What I don't understand is how it could be 180 out when I had the #1 piston at TDC and the bug pointing at the #1 terminal in the cap. How could this be? This is what I was always taught to do.

Anyway, let my lesson be a lesson to others before they pull thier hair out.

Last edited:
It must have been at TDC on overlap instead instead of compression...one revolution apart...distributor runs at 1/2 crank speed...that puts it 180 degrees out....real nice looking install job... Dawg

MudDawg said:
It must have been at TDC on overlap instead instead of compression...one revolution apart...distributor runs at 1/2 crank speed...that puts it 180 degrees out....real nice looking install job... Dawg
Thanks for straightening that out, Dawg.

Thanks also for the compliment. Besides the electric seats, the engine's the only bling I have on it.:D

Where can I get one of those purdy red valve covers (or any valve cover for that matter) What can I expect to pay for it?

That is a sweet looking engine!!!!!

They are in the quadratec catalog...

tjl1388 said:
Where can I get one of those purdy red valve covers (or any valve cover for that matter) What can I expect to pay for it?

The valve cover was prepped with a high speed and wire wheel and has about 4 coats of high temp Chrysler Corporate Red on it as well as the engine. The paint is from Auto Bone. Expect to pay $4.00 per can.

Marky Tinkles said:
So does the tranny leak all over the place?????

Nice PVC pipe!
And no, Mark, the tranny doesn't leak not one drop because I'm just that good (dodged a bullet on that one,huh?) and there's not a sliver of PVC on the whole thing. If you're referring to the air tube, it's 3" exhaust pipe, also from the Zone. The scratches on top of it just look like a UPC bar code, I was too ready to drive the damn thing to touch it up. Thanks for noticing though.

Back