• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Seals Again!

Professor Bobo

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I replaced the axle seals in my D30 non disconnect differential.
They are a real bear to get in. I got them in eventually but after I assembled and refilled the dif, One leaked worse! Does any one know of a special tool or secret tip to get these things in? You're working INSIDE the differential housing. the seals are located just outside the carrier bearings. (carrier removed, of course). I'm going to put another pair in tomorrow and don't want to do it again...atleast not for a while.
Thanks

Last edited:
The only time I´ve had mine leak, was because of bad front U-joints. Ignore the joints long enough and the wobble in the shaft will eat out the seal. I´d guess a bent shaft or a worn spot on the shaft, could also cause problems. Don´t know about the axle seals specifically, but Fel Pro makes replacement seals, for many shafts, that have a larger sealing area than most stock seals, to deal with the worn spot and trouble sealing. Lastly don´t forget to grease the rubber part of the seal, before installing the axle. A dry seal will wear out and leak jiffy quick (ask me how I know this).
Before installing new U joints clean the cap seat out pretty good and lub it with grease. After you get the new U joint in, a good wack with a hammer on the yoke will help center it. Can get the X part of the U joint in a little off center, bearing cap seals can compress unequally and there is a little play in between the C clips anyway.

Last edited:
You may have already seen it, but MadXJ had a write up on this. He used a home made tool to pull the seals and a part from a ball joint kit and a steel rod to seat the new seals in place.

http://www.madxj.com/

There is a special tool for installing them but not sure where you could get one from. It is basically a turnbuckle like setup with two cup ends that push both seals in at once.

I used a 2" pvc pipe going through the long axle first. Then I used a large socket and a lot of extensions for the short axel. I held the seal in place while a friend held a block of wood over the pipe or extensions and tapped the seals in. No problems in 4 years.

Thanks for all the input! I did see Madxj's write-up. He gave me an idea and so did tuxxj. I used a borrowed set of bearing and race installers, found one to be the perfect size, then I used a "few" socket extentions. Fed them thru the tube. I held the tool inplace while my gf hammered on the extentions. So far, so good! If they don't leak by tomorrow, I'd say we beat it!
As far as u-joints go... that's how the one seal got ripped. I replaced the u-joints and put the axle in nice and clean and dry...bad Idea.
Thanks again!!!!!

I do a few of these.

My trick is to use a 36mm deep well impact socket. it fits the seal just right. then I use a long piece of steel pipe that is smooth so it won't scuff the seal that it is rubbing against. then from the outside I use a 2# baby sledge to drive the seal in. works good. I also add a small bead of RTV to the seal in the outside corner so that when you seat the seal into the end of the machined area it makes a really good seal.

Back