• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod strength

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
How strong (rating) do you think or know is the tapered section of the 7/8" tie rod ends?

Do you think six grade 8 or 12, 1/4" fine thread bolts would be as strong or stronger than the tapered section?

XJguy

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to visualize what the heck you're asking. WHAT tapered section of a tie rod end? Are you referring to the tapered stud that sticks up out of the ball, the part that goes into the knuckle and has the castle nut on the end?

If so, it's an easy calculation. The stud acts in shear, and the shear takes place at the plane of where the stud enters the hole in the knuckle. Measure the diameter of the stud at that point, then calculate the area.

Assuming steel of equal strength, you need equal or more area, so calculate the area of the bolts and multiply by the number of bolts. If the bolts are threaded full length, or if the threaded portion extands through the shear plane, don't forget to calculate based on the actual root shank diameter, not the nominal diameter (which is measured to the outside of the threads).

I knew someone would have a good answer. Thanks Eagle, thats exactly what I was looking for.

XJguy

Back