• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another cluster swap-out question

crystalship1

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry fellas (and ladies) for posting yet another cluster swap-out question, but I'm a newbie here and I want to get this right. As far as I can tell from reading the archives, I should be able to swap-out my '97 XJ's "idiot light" cluster for a full gauge cluster as pretty much a "plug-n-play" operation. Is that correct? Should all the senders be compatable? Any pointers or suggestions from you vererans?

Thanks in advance!!!

Roger :)

1997 XJ - 4.0 - Gun Metal Blue (of course)

For the earlier years, it's necessary to change both the temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor. In the OBD-II models, I believe the temp gauge receives input from the PCM and not from a dedicated sensor, so I think you're good to go on that. I think you will need to swap the oil pressure sender, though.

RichP has done this on a '97. Send him a PM.

Thanks Eagle!!

I found his "step by step" and followed it.

Everything was "plug 'n play" except the tailgate open light wants to stay on all the time, which is weird, because it worked fine on the other cluster. Oh well... I'll be removing the lamp and getting the odo. reset soon.

Anybody in the Indy area that can recommend anyplace to do the odo. reset for a reasonable price??

Roger :)

I tried doing this recently , but found that all the xjs in the junk yard had speedometer cables and mine was electronic, so check that out before you buy one, yours is prob electronic as weel. Good luck

Having done this swap almost 4 years ago.... I can tell you that YES it is PLUG and PLAY, BUT..... there is a slight wiring change between 97 and 98 so make sure that the cluster you install is a 97 for a 97 or a 98-01 for a 98-01.
The windshield washer lever sensor and hatch ajar are just a few of the minor glitches.... along with the rear defroster not working.....

Charles

CharlesS said:
Having done this swap almost 4 years ago.... I can tell you that YES it is PLUG and PLAY, BUT..... there is a slight wiring change between 97 and 98 so make sure that the cluster you install is a 97 for a 97 or a 98-01 for a 98-01.
The windshield washer lever sensor and hatch ajar are just a few of the minor glitches.... along with the rear defroster not working.....

Charles

Have not heard from you for a while, where ya been. I did my cluster swap back in dec or jan, put a 97 in my 98. Only glitch I ran into was that the 'security' and 'ww fluid low' were reversed and the 'wwlow' light stayed on so I pulled the bulb and now when I run low of fluid the 'security' light comes on... Might have something to do with my 98 model year XJ being built in Oct 97... Got my auburn put in too :D

Rich,

After some research..... looking at the schematics for the 97 and 98 I have come to the conclusion that the GROUND wire was swapped along with the location of a few other items which is probably what is causing the problem.
Have not been ambitious enough to swap the wiring around on the bus connectors to resolve the problems.
Your solution to the WW fluid level light staying on was the same as mine.... !!
Yeah... I have been gone for a while..... Good to know I am still remembered.
Too much work, house projects and family obligations. I am going to try to be on more often.

Charles

Back