• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hello all

flatlandernomore

NAXJA Forum User
Although I do not currently own an XJ, I am looking to buy one within the next two weeks or so. I am located in Boulder right now and if anyone has any tips on any sick XJs for sale let me know. My budget is somewhere in the range of $4000-$6500. I would like to get one that has some work done to it already (instant gratification rules). Preferably a lift and some 33s would be nice. There is a 4 door limited on autotrader I looked at the other day in Denver with 8 total inches of lift and 33 inch swampers plus a long list of other things going for $7500....too much lift?? or is that a dumb question? I drove it and didnt like the way it handled as far as braking went but Im sure it would be one to compete with some of the bigger XJs out there. Anyway, it seems like you guys have a great online community of Jeep fans that go out and have a great time and I look forward to experiencing some of the backcountry with you all. In case you were wondering about the user name flatlandernomore....I moved here from Kansas City about 8 months ago for school and no I dont plan on going back to Kansas anytime soon. I do have some off roading experience under my belt and I am going to school for automotive technology so I wouldnt say Im a total newby to the 4X4 scene. Look forward to hearing from some of you guys. By the way I am living in Boulder until August then I move back to (dont laugh) Pueblo to continue school at Colorado State University-Pueblo.

Evan Simpson

Welcome!

I'd suggest you start with something smaller than 8" of lift (yes, you can have too much lift). Focus on finding a later model XJ that will last you a long time if you plan to daily drive it, with more "tame" modifications.

FWIW, I think it is something of a mistake to buy a built rig unless you really understand how it was built. You'll need to learn to wrench on this thing unless you have deep pockets, and building it yourself is the best way to learn.

Having said that, your bang for the buck is to buy a used rig that is nicely built in the $6K range. Mike Ginter on the Colorado XJ List, which is a Yahoo Group, has been trying to unload his forever. Jump on that board and hit Mike up. Nice rig with 33's and D44 rear. Go to groups.yahoo.com (I think that's the address, anyway) and enter "Colorado XJ" to get to the board.

Nay

Well I did it finally....I bought a nice black 96 Sport 2 door today with 2.5 inches of lift, and fender flares to clear the wider 32 inch Procomp Xterrains. Its a good start and I can't wait to put some work into it.

2.5" and 32s? Ack! I see severe rubbing in the future unless those fenders have been seriously chopped. Welcome to CO NAXJA though - post pics of the new toy!

No rubbing....there has been some cutting and I can turn the wheel all the way both ways without any rub. I know it will be "coin" well spent, there is already a growing list of mods in my mind :) I'll probably go with a CB and off road lights first and definitely need to get a new radio...it has an aftermarket CD player but the face plate is missing. There were no maintenance records with this Jeep, any suggestions on preventative things I should tackle. Im off to Napa to get the typical things (oil, filters, plugs, and whatever else I can think of).

Definitely do all the "typicals" on it since you don't have a history for it. Don't forget differentials, t-case and tranny, engine oil and coolant, plugs, wires, cap+rotor...and look closely at the condition of everything that comes out of it.

Isn't an aftermarket CD without faceplate just a filler in the dash?

Don't forget skids before you go crazy with lights and doodads. Nay had the group name right when he said groups.yahoo.com and the Colorado XJ group.

Welcome to COLORADO NAXJA

Back