• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear SS brake line Problems......

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
Iv been trying to install some Rear RE SS lines and i cannot get the stock one off. i was able to get the 2 hardlines that go to the wheels loose but not the main one. iv been spraying it with pb blaster for 2 days now and i still cant get it off any ideas? the outside of the nut is pretty tore up by the way.....

Time for vise grips and a 5/8" wrench.

Try and wedge the wrench and hit the vise grips. Sometimes it needs a sharp hit to break loose.

mark

Had the same issue when I did my lift, wound up stripping the hell out of it. Cut it, reflare it, and your good to go.

edit: sorry double flare it. :laugh2:

How difficult is it to cut and reflare? who sells those small brake nuts that are needed cause the one on mine is really tore up thanks to my vise grip. I was yanking on that little nut hard and it wasnt budging. I guess Il try some heat. how flamible is brake fluid?

Jeepster4wd said:
How difficult is it to cut and reflare? who sells those small brake nuts that are needed cause the one on mine is really tore up thanks to my vise grip. I was yanking on that little nut hard and it wasnt budging. I guess Il try some heat. how flamible is brake fluid?

I had the same problem with mine-couldn't get the stock softline detached from the hardline that runs up the unibody. Ended up cutting it, double flaring it and hooking it up. Took me way too long though since I was awful with the double flare tool and broke three of them ( told AutoZone they were defective each time) until I got it to work. You can get the small brake nuts from NAPA (they're called flare fittings) for a few dollars. I couldn't find just the flare fitting so I simply bought the shortest(cheapest) hardline NAPA had in the right size (3/16) since they came with the fittings already on them which I just cut off. HTH.

Jeepster4wd said:

Just buy the correct length of hard-line tubing with both nuts already installed, bend it to shape, screw it back on, then you don’t need the double flare kit. You can get them at NAPA about $10.00

-- Xman --

its off! lol tightend the vise up very tight then pulled as hard as i could and it popped loose. Cant seem to get it to stop leaking now iv installed the new SS line. The nut is serverly messed up though from all the vise grip damage. prolly best to reflare it and put a new nut on it.

Back