• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

breaking tranny mounts?!?!

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
okay, this might be more of an OEM thing, but considering how modified my MJ is, it probably belongs in here...

so I go out wheelin today, some relatively mild stuff
truck1.jpg

and after about an hour i look underneath and the tranny mount is BUSTED, and banging around. thing is, it's only a month old. the motor mounts are stock style, 1 year old and in decent shape. the tranny mount is a NAPA replacement one.

I'm planning on making some of my own "bombproof" motor mounts, hopefully that will help. but what else could be contributing? and are there any stronger tranny mounts out there? I'm thinking of mounting the tranny solidly to the crossmember and then mounting the crossmember to the frame rails with poly bushings...

I have the same problem with my tranny mounts. I just keep throwing a new one in since I have a liftime warrenty.

On my YJ, I made a tie down with an old tow strap and a tie down corner (slip sleeve) protector (with some grease inside). Made a couple of hold downs, that mounted to the cross memeber, one with a long bolt for tensioning. Couple of things on top of the tranny/adaptor to watch out for, but not hard work around. After tieing the tranny down tight and taking the bounce out, I never lost another tranny mount. Not too tight, just enough to take the bounce out.
Had heavy duty mounts in a truck, the bolt holes around the tranny to transfer adaptor cracked. Thought I´d try something different on the YJ.

Its the Mj complaining from the use of covered wagon Leafs up front and the Overseas junk bolted to your tires out back. :)

Fix your motor mounts first. Then see if the tranny mount is still a problem. I haven't had any problems with my tranny mount since I put on MORE mounts (the rubber ones). I was killing both motor and tranny mounts regularly until I fixed the motor mount problem.

Nay

Gary E said:
Its the Mj complaining from the use of covered wagon Leafs up front and the Overseas junk bolted to your tires out back. :)

wait, so what kind of leafs are you using in the rear? non-covered wagon type?

and i'd rather have an import rear than a Ford rear :puke:

:flipoff2:

shaddup

(is your junk down like everyone else's? ya wanna go to the 'Con one of the next 2 weekends?)

BrettM said:
so I go out wheelin today, some relatively mild stuff
and after about an hour i look underneath and the tranny mount is BUSTED, and banging around. thing is, it's only a month old. the motor mounts are stock style, 1 year old and in decent shape. the tranny mount is a NAPA replacement one.

I've hammered on my motor mounts(and tranny mount). My first motor mount had 150,000+ mile on it before it broke and the circumstances in which it broke also caused all my shocks to boil over. ;)
The replacement I got(a $20 lifetime warranty POS) lasted 5000 miles before it broke. Maybe it's the crappy aftermarket tranny mount? Get a factory one and call it good.

Jes

BrettM said:
wait, so what kind of leafs are you using in the rear? non-covered wagon type?

and i'd rather have an import rear than a Ford rear :puke:

:flipoff2:

shaddup

(is your junk down like everyone else's? ya wanna go to the 'Con one of the next 2 weekends?)

Geesh looks like I hit a soft spot there :angel: Its allright not all jeeps can be "Built Ford Tough" A little known secret is that if you paint your 297 joints ford blue it makes them just as tough as ctms :)

Yeah my junk is down, cage/paint work, I've kind of written off this summer unfortuantly, Shannon is due in 8 days :rattle:

Gary E said:
Geesh looks like I hit a soft spot there :angel: Its allright not all jeeps can be "Built Ford Tough" A little known secret is that if you paint your 297 joints ford blue it makes them just as tough as ctms :)

Yeah my junk is down, cage/paint work, I've kind of written off this summer unfortuantly, Shannon is due in 8 days :rattle:
hmmm... so what is the EXACT OPPOSITE color of ford blue :laugh3:

Back