• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ leaf springs on an XJ?

Twisted Copper said:
Anyone know if stock YJ leaf springs would fit on rear of an XJ, and if so how much lift would they net?

Won't fit.......negative lift.

You can use the leaves to add to your XJ pack, which can work well. Might take a little trial and error to get exactly what you want, but it's cheap.

I have a set of YJ leafs I was thinking of using. Plan is to take the XJ spring pack apart <leaving main attached> and mix and match the YJ leaves in withthe XJ leaves.

A friend of mine locally also put a set of K5 Blazer leaves under his XJ, by leaving the main XJ leaf on the XJ and taking the main off the K5 pack, and bolting the remaining leaves of the K5 pack under the main XJ leaf. Got him about 6" . I will get details shortly.

Actually, since whatever way I'm going with this will end up having more leafs, of thin leafs, it ought to flex pretty well.

Definitely will have to do something abot the shackle, though. Probably a Boomerang shackle, I'm not too crazy about revolvers.

boomerang shackles do nothing to change the shackle angle. the angle is always the angle between the 2 bolts regardless of what shape is in between them. the only way to improve shackle angle is a longer main leaf or relocating one of the mounts. search for CRASH's shackle setup, it's a good way to relocate the shackle and gain a little lift.

BrettM said:
2) by using the stock XJ mainleaf with more than a couple inches of lift, your shackle angle starts to get real nasty

boomerang shackles do nothing to change the shackle angle. the angle is always the angle between the 2 bolts regardless of what shape is in between them. the only way to improve shackle angle is a longer main leaf or relocating one of the mounts. search for CRASH's shackle setup, it's a good way to relocate the shackle and gain a little lift.

Well, I wonder how I did it for so long with a stock XJ main leaf and stock location shackle and spring hangers. I run 2" of blocks, and a longer shackle, with about 8" of total lift. That still leaves about 5-5.5" of lift out of the springs.

It seems to have worked OK. :)
standard.jpg

well a longer shackle would defintely help keep it from inverting, but it would still make me nervous. my rear shackle sits at about a 45 degree angle and it still inverted once on Fordyce when drooping and bumped. I'm really thankful it didn't break the main-leaf.

I agree that a little longer leaf with a taller lift spring is a good idea, it just isn't true that it's a problem running a stock main leaf with over 2" of lift.

:) :)

Back