• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:88s, AW-4, 33s on a DD?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I know, I know... I DID search and read most of the stuff here about the subject for the last 6 months or so... :dunce:
I'd like some first-hand experiences with folks running this combo. It's really confusing when people are saying 4:56s and 35s work great, and 33s w/4:88s are perfect. I've looked at the charts and did all the math. I want a real idea of what this combo will be like on the freeway. I'm SURE it will be awesome off-road, but I drive this rig every day. It CAN'T be a trailer queen, so if this will be too radical for a highway trip, I'll have to rethink 4:56s.
According to the "charts", 4:88s would raise my freeway RPMs about 500 or so from the 4:10s I have now. That SHOULD put it at around 2900 RPMs at 75mph or so. But charts are just...CHARTS! I'd like to hear from someone running this combo about their thoughts and experiences.
TIA!

Bill, Bill, Bill. You just want me to slap you.

1. Do you remember the infamous 35's and 3.55's? Go read it again.
2. People that claim it's fine haven't had anything better.
3. What calc are you using? I come up with just under 2800 using a .75:1 OD.
4. Throw that (reserved for den puposes) calculator away. It doesn't mean much of anything after its lifted weight added, blah, blah, blah.

My only experience is with my dads YJ and 4 popper. I couldn't talk him into a new front axle so 4.88's went in. 5.38's would have been perfect so 4.88's should be okay with a six.

The only way I can see 4.88's being slightly too low is with stock tires. Just buy them and you won't be sorry.

The next time I see you on the trail you better have 4.88's or lower. Otherwise be ready for public ridicule and constant harassment. I have second guessed myself out of the propper way too many times. That is my expierience. :D

Lincoln said:
Bill, Bill, Bill. You just want me to slap you.

1. Do you remember the infamous 35's and 3.55's? Go read it again.
2. People that claim it's fine haven't had anything better.
3. What calc are you using? I come up with just under 2800 using a .75:1 OD.
4. Throw that (reserved for den puposes) calculator away. It doesn't mean much of anything after its lifted weight added, blah, blah, blah.

My only experience is with my dads YJ and 4 popper. I couldn't talk him into a new front axle so 4.88's went in. 5.38's would have been perfect so 4.88's should be okay with a six.

The only way I can see 4.88's being slightly too low is with stock tires. Just buy them and you won't be sorry.

The next time I see you on the trail you better have 4.88's or lower. Otherwise be ready for public ridicule and constant harassment. I have second guessed myself out of the propper way too many times. That is my expierience. :D
Thanks! Slapping is probably what I needed. I'M one of the "misguided" souls that said that 4:10 work with 33s. On the last trip, my tranny was getting warm from all the downshifting, I'm sure. :tear:
Can I get some ketchup for that crow I have to eat now...? :twak:

I have 4.56s, AW-4, and had 33s, and wished I had gone with 4.88s. It wanted to drop out of OD at the slightest excuse at highway speeds. Now that I have 35s, it's even worse, although the RPMs are a bit lower in third- but then what's the point of having that OD? Downhills only? Once I upgrade my front axle, I'll be doing at least 5.13s

Not a problem, I'll send it in the mail tomorrow. I've had my 35's stored for a year because I was being smart and bought tires before gears. Looks like they won't be done before Rubi either. Didn't we talk about this on Kane Creek last fall too?

Now get up first thing in the morning and order those before you start second guessing your choice again. It's time for me to go teach the neighborhood children how to make real firecrackers.

See, I know where this is going...

That Jeep is going to be off warranty soon. You'll get those 4.88s....then chop the fenders....then you will see 33s are too small...and then you will want 35s...but before all of that, when you get 4.88s, you will want some type of locker in the front....so you'll send me a PM saying the Torsen is available, and I will say, GREAT!....and then I will even more of your old stuff!!

Fergie

How fast do you guys with the AW4, 4.88 and 33's drive down the interstate? I thought I was set on 4.56 since it seemed the revs would be higher then I would like at 75-85mph .......f

i've cruised at 80 for a couple hours before, but i usually don't because i get several more MPG at 65. I can say first hand that the RPMs are perfect for all speeds at least up to 80.

and I have a Renix engine ('88) which likes lower RPMs, with an AW4 from a HO motor, which gives higher RPMs (.75 OD vs .70 in the older AW4s). So especially with a HO motor you would want the 4.88s, or with a Renix motor that is using the orinigal AW4.

What you said with the rpm's doesn't make sence. If the older(mine's a 89) likes lower rev then 4.56 would be the way to go with the original tranny. 4.88 if you have an HO. ????

Lincoln said:
Didn't we talk about this on Kane Creek last fall too?
Yes, we did. I tried to compensate with a few engine mods, but this altitude really sucks the power out anyway.
4:88s are on the way!

Fergie said:
See, I know where this is going...

That Jeep is going to be off warranty soon. You'll get those 4.88s....then chop the fenders....then you will see 33s are too small...and then you will want 35s...but before all of that, when you get 4.88s, you will want some type of locker in the front....so you'll send me a PM saying the Torsen is available, and I will say, GREAT!....and then I will even more of your old stuff!!

Fergie
PM'd you... :yap:

i have 33 tires, 4.56 gears and a 4:1 transfer case and it still isnt low enough. so go as low as you can if you really like to wheel your jeep, and i am sure that the first time anyone ever has the 4x4 claws grabbed right into the wallets and emptied them slowly than fast its is a progressive nature :D

I ran that combo for a year and it was perfect for a dual purpose rig.

hmm...I'd been told in another thread to go 4.11 with 32" tires, then someone else said 4.56s. I've got a 96 4.0 AW4. I'm thinking now that 4.88s would be the way tog o for 32s also?

Back