• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose Steering

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with 180,000 miles. I have a new track bar, steering gear box, steering pump, and my joints are all in good shape. I have actually had several new steering gears, none fixing the problem. I have tried turning the adjusting screw on the steering gear, and it helps, but no matter what, my steering seems to have that play where I can wobble the wheel back and forth a few inches and it feels like its not connected to anything. It is also kind of hard to turn the wheel at slower speeds. I have 15X8 aftermarket wheels that stick out alot from the fenders. Could that be messing up the steering? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

I'm fighting the same gremlins. You have a few more things to check: Is the track bar tight at both ends? They like to move (even if new) where they connect to the jeep. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for movement. The frame bracket can also get loose- lots here say torque it down with all you've got!
Ball Joints: any slop? I'm assuming when you say "joints are OK" that you mean tie rod ends and pinion arm connection.
Control Arms: Bushings good, or sloppy?
Shocks: XJs don't like dead shocks.
Steering Sabilizer: mine only makes a difference on bumps- not much help in regular driving (standard height suspension).
I have replaced the track bar and tie rod ends, and am part way through replacing the control arm bushings, with new shocks to follow. (This is at 206,000 km = about 128,000 miles.)

Welcome to the Jeep family. Every Jeep I have driven with the exception of my wifes 97 Grand Cherokee has that same steering slop. That includes my dad's old 87 Commanche, my brother's 94 Wrangler, my 90 and 94 Cherokee and my 86 Commanche.

Be careful not to tighten up the adjuster nut too much or you will end up buying a new steering pump. The way to diagnose most of this is to have someone get inside and with the motor off, rock the wheel back and forth. You will most likely see that the pitman arm is moving back and forth, but because of something in the linkage, the wheels are not moving. I then put my hand on each of the joints as it is rocked back and forth. You should be able to feel any slop in the joints. That means the tie rod end joints on both sides, the drag link from the pitman arm to the tie rod. Don't forget to check the track bar as well.

Having said all of that for the benefit of those who have this problem and don't have new joints, the most common thing to cause this is a lack of toe in, in otherwords alignment. Take a tape measure and a friend and measure the distance between the front tires at both the front of the tires and the rear of the tires. Ideally the front of the tires should be 1/8 to 1/4" closer at the front than the rear.

If all of the above is fine, the control arm bushings can be shot as well. A good alignment shop can help you, but finding an alignment shop that understands a lifted rig are few and far between.

Last edited:
Back