• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's offraod track bar

retard_ed_1

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys

i got a 4.5 lift from rusty's a couple of month ago, and the heim joint ( i think that what its called- the joint at the frame) is now no good, it banging around and the boot is shredded, my question is -should i get a drop bracket for that ( cause rusty siad i dont need one, and where can i get a tuffer joint

thanks tim

retard_ed_1 said:
hey guys

i got a 4.5 lift from rusty's a couple of month ago, and the heim joint ( i think that what its called- the joint at the frame) is now no good, it banging around and the boot is shredded, my question is -should i get a drop bracket for that ( cause rusty siad i dont need one, and where can i get a tuffer joint

thanks tim

i would recommend you go with a whole new track-bar, either the JKS adj or the RE 1660 that comes with a Drop bracket. everything else is junk. The heim joints will always go bad, the threads seize.

I'd recommend Teraflex. From everything I have read, they are just as good as any of the others and you can adjust them when both ends are attached. Plus, they use a TRE just like the stock one does, and it can be replaced when it wears out. Also, they stand behind there work, and I have read of very few complaints.

I just ordered mine yesterday, so we'll see if it holds up to my hype.

Fergie

I destroyed my RE heim joint on my RE 1600 bar by not using the frame mount bracket. I swapped that in with a new joint and it's already lasted twice as long. Heims are not meant to take the loads that the original TRE does when mounted on their sides in the factory position. Having the joint move in its rotational plane makes it last longer. I've got no complaints.

i agree with the RE suggestion. ive got the 1660 and have NO issues with noise/DW/popping...joints lasting fine, just make sure to keep it in the proper plane as said above
-Ben

I tried a Rusty's bar at first(about three months) :puke: Then for the reasons mentioned above I bought the RE1660,that was 3 years ago!

Last edited:
I agree. . .Rusty's track bar is a flaming pos. I will be replaceing mine shortly with a JKS one. . . .

Dude, its a Tie Rod end(TRE), not a Heim joint. You can get a replacement at any auto parts store out there. About the only thing this track bar is good for is a stock replacement on a stock XJ. Step up to the RE HD track bar and never look back. Just my .02.

MIke

i know you guys are going to give me greif on this but i called rusty and he set me up with his heavy duty bracket, the end is just like the re 1600, i couldnt see buying a whole new bar when i got a brand new one, hopefully this works out for me

thanks

I have used the RE heim jointed trac bar. lasted 2 years until the heim crapped out. Switch lifts (taller) and went with Rusty's trac bar with drop bracket. No problems almost three years later. I am replacing the bushing at the axle end this weekend. A great set up, I also have Rusty's Trac Bar brace which is a good idea to have to keep the drop bracket from flexing. Juice

retard_ed_1 said:
i know you guys are going to give me greif on this but i called rusty and he set me up with his heavy duty bracket, the end is just like the re 1600, i couldnt see buying a whole new bar when i got a brand new one, hopefully this works out for me

thanks

You should be fine, there are a few horror stories about Rusty's Trackbar but mostly due to the cheap TRE's he puts on them. I ran both the TRE and HD one with no problems. I am converting over to a different TB, but I went to a Highsteer setup.

I had same exact problem. I like good old Rusty, he's a good guy, but his tie rod ends on his adj trackbars blow!! I ran the same 4.5 lift and it installed a month or two when i started to hear a popping when i turned. I just went to the auto parts store and got a new, larger, tie rod end. Its worked great ever since!
~however if your going to spend some money for a new part, you might as well spend about $89 and order the Heavy duty frame mount Rusty has. Comes with new heavy duty end. Its much more stable and can operate at much higher angle.

I highly recommend the rustys track bar. I have a 95 xj with a 4.5'' lift from rustys and i had to get a track bar to center the suspension. Not only do you need this but it works great

Back