• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard starting

dhreeves

NAXJA Forum User
Lately my '89 has been taking longer to start. It used just fire right up but now it cranks for several seconds before it actually starts. It starts everytime, just takes longer than it used to or seems like it should. Any ideas?

Don

When was the last tune up? Did you clean the throttle body? The fuel pump could be going bad on you, don't know what year you have but if it's old something to look into. Also the tps, or just the east fix of all the starter. Or if you battery is near the end of its life span it could be the problem as well.

It is an '89 with 198K. I have only owned it for about a year but in that time I have replaced: gas tank (didn't replace the fuel pump while it was out), fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs/wires, rear main seal, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter o-rings, cluth master cylinder, and cleaned the throttle body with a can of spray cleaner but have never taken in for a "tune-up". It runs very well and gets about 21-22 mpg it is just taking a long time to start. Long enough that is is getting annoying.

Don

My guess is you have a bad check valve in the fuel pump. I repalced my fuel pump 3 years ago and solved the long crank problem. The check valve does not hold pressure, this causes you to have to build pressure every time you start.

If you want to test you need a fuel pressure gauge. I am sure the procedure is in the manual but you check the pressure and it has to be a certain value 1 hour later, if it is lower then you have a bad check valve.

On your 89 you do not have to drop the tank to change the fuel pump but it does go easier if you can put it on the lift, the axle drops down and you have full access to the assy since the hole is on the front side, upper half of the tank.

I have seen posts on here where guys install a BMW check vavle assy to avoid pulling the pump out of the tank. It may be in the archives but remember someone posting the BMW part number for the check valve which comes with hoses attached.

I purchased the fuel pump kit at the dealer, make sure to get a new sock filter and the O ring for the tank flange.

HTH

I have been wanting to put a new fuel pump in anyway. Somehow, while changing out my fuel tank, I gooned up the fuel pupm assembly because now my gas gauge reads wrong.

You can install an inline check valve to avoid buying a brand new fuel pump. Seems like the pump is working but the valve is not. It's worth a try, plus it is alot cheaper and less time consuming to do than replacing a pump. My .02

I have the same problem. Just checked my fuel pressure 31psi while running. then I can watch it drop after i turn the key off. It drops down to about 2-3 psi. with key off. in less than 10sec. time to change pump. check your psi.

Back