• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shock Problems

SNOWBLIND

NAXJA Forum User
the question is this: while installing a RE 3.5" lift on my 2000 XJ, i managed to snap the upper rear shock mounting bolts(mostly due to rust and corrosion). now i am stuck with the welded in place nuts up in the frame work with minimal access to them to break them out. has anyone run into this problem? if so or if not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get out of this bind? does anyone know of any aftermarket modified shock mount kits that would eliminate the "dogbone" mounting technique?
thanks much,

i went through the same problems back in Feb. of this year. i busted off 3 of the four bolts! made a mistake of using easy outs, which suck BTW. my suggestion is, try to get them out with a socket and rachet. if you bust them, get some super sharpe/hard drill bits and drill them out. i had to take mine to a shop to have them drilled out because the easy outs broke off in two of the bolts. next, either buy a tap and tap out the holes or just drop a bolt down through the top and put a nut on the bottom. you can get a wrinch up there to hold the bolt head still. yes it's a PITA but even i could do it lol. i hope this helps you out, i was freaking when it happen to me!!!

i was thinking the same thing, that is drilling them out. in past experiences i have forund easy outs to be far from easy and quite over rated. going to a shop for an answer was a possibility but would rather solve it myself. the dropping of the bolts is the best idea, and the one i got from the local dealer, but the access to the holes is soo small, i can barely get my hand up there needless to say a wrench and then operate it.

any thoughts on drilling out the broken bolt to close to its diameter, then trying to use some sort of self tapping bolt and washer setup right up into the existing nut/bolt remains? this would eliminate the need to get up above with a wrench into that really tight spot!

thanks for the help. i too was freaking out, i really want to get this thing out of the damn driveway and have some fun with it!

If you drill them out carefully, you should be able to re-tap with the correct thread. Worst case is you might move up one size, or from a metric to the next larger SAE size. The key is to use a good centerpoint and start with a small pilot hole to be sure you drill dead center.

When you reinstall, be sure to use anti-sieze.

Dude, I did the same thing!- dont bother getting them drilled out, just do it your self. And don't bother tapping the hole either! Go to your local hardware store and get some self tapping sheetmetal bolts (easy to find) and just use those (easy to use) I did it, and I havn't had any problems. Hope it helps!
Codeman

easy outs are good only if bolt is broken by stress not by binding of threads if you get it drilled in center you can try to drill to within an 1/16 of drill size and have good luck in getting bots to release if you can't just punch out to drill size and tap out. think I would not use sheet metal screws they are too low of grade of hardness for this application

Same thing happened to me. Here is what I did: If you installed a lift then you probably removed the rear sway bar, if not go ahead and do it it doesn't really do anything anyways. You can use the sway bar mounts from the rear springs to make bar pin eliminators. You just bolt the bracket in place of the shock and then use a bolt and the regular spacer to bolt up the shocks. Makes it way easier next time you need to remove the shocks.

Another option is to make (or buy) a crossmember for the shocks.

Mine is 2"x2" .250" square tube...notched at each end so it fits up inside the framerails, bolts to the bumpstop bolt holes. I drilled four pairs of holes (starting 1"? either side of center, 2" apart) to adjust the angle of the shocks.

I di the drop bolts from top on the passenger side retapped driver side.thank the lord i could because ther doesnt appear to be room to acess the top on the drivers side. If anyone knows a trick to get up in there please let me know.
:moon:

Brian Felts said:
I di the drop bolts from top on the passenger side retapped driver side.thank the lord i could because ther doesnt appear to be room to acess the top on the drivers side. If anyone knows a trick to get up in there please let me know.
drill a hole though the floor that is the way i ended up having to do it. all the retaping methods striped out over time wish i would have tried to nock the welded nuts off though if that was done you might be able to use a wire to get the bolt in the hole then use a wrench to hold it while tighting on the nut.

Brian Felts said:
After beating mine out on the drivers side, I fished a wire hanger through the hole and over towards the passenger side. Taped a bolt to the hanger, and pulled it back in. You will need the Appropriate length bolt! The first one was too long to make the turn! I think I actually grinded the hole a little bigger too to make the turn!
HTH,

Back