• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle unit bearing question

XJBill

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to swap my front axle unit bearings from my 1994 YJ 4.0L to my 1994 XJ 4.0L and I am wondering if they are the same...

I know people have had issues with the newer Cherokees... I guess the bearings on the newer Cherokees are a little wider than the YJ/TJ bearings. Are the older XJ's also different?

Yes they are the same.
84-89 are in a group,90-99 another group.Rotors fall into the same groups.
HTH
Wayne

I have terible noise (road noise) coming from front pasanger wheel. It is worst in about 40mil/hour. When I steer left it is worst. When I steer right it is quiet. I checked bearing for play, but it is like new. There is 190 k miles on my XJ - 93. Can be wheel bearing noisy without any freeplay? I just installed BFG mud terrains. Is really bad noise normal with them? Thank you for help.

I've got a rythmic chirp that comes from my right front wheel, I'm pretty sure that it's the bearing (I've replaced every other moving part down there...) and there is no free play. I've got 149,xxx miles so I figure they're getting worn. They also generate a significant whirling noise when at highway speed, so I'm assuming that all these are signs that they are wearing out. I know it's not the exact answer you're looking for, but hopefully it give a little insight!

Yes they can be noisey take front wheel off and spin the bearing by hand see if it feels rough or makes noise.

Back