• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Horse ain't dead yet, let's beat it a bit more..

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
:confused: :confused:
Starting tomorrow I've got 4 days to get my RE 3.5" lift on.(Full Leafs)

I have only two jack stands, 2.5ton hydrolic, and a bunch of 6x6's....
PB Blaster, BFH, Torch (if needed)

Heres my theory: :dunno: if it fly..
Doing the rear first..
Chock(sp) the front tires.
Use the 6x6's to support the frame just in front of the rear tires, and use the jacks for the axle.
(I would do the same for the front)

Q's: How high should I lift the frame?
OR Should I find a way to lift the whole XJ even?(buy another 6x6
and cut it up)
Do I just barely support the axle off the ground?

I tryed last week to loosen the bolt holding the leaf to the shackle, but that was useless, I beleive the weight of the XJ on the leaf was the culprit. :banghead:

Cheater pipe to slide over the breaker bar, it multiplies torque

If you haven't already, start soaking all bolts NOW

Be prepared to break the upper shock bolts.

Good Luck

i did mine a little different when lifting it up 4.5". i jacked mine up as high as it could go, then supported the body with the jackstands and left the jack on the axle. after removing the tires, i lowerd the jack 1/2 way to take some weight off of the leafs. and did one leaf at a time. but i'd use the wood as a end-all-save all to backup the jackstands. ...but that's just how i did it.

and i second the idea of the breaker bar. and when i was running out of juice and needed a tad bit more help, i used 1/2 of the handle from my jack as a cheater bar.

Used 2 jack stands and a hydraulic floor jack. Lifted it up and put the stands under the frame. Took off one side at a time and simply used the jack to lift or lower the axle as needed.....Same on the front.

Suggest you get under there and start PB blasting daily until the removal date

XJ91,

Where the heck did you find PB Blaster? Locally :canada: ?

I believe you should be able to turn the bolts with the weight on then -- start blasting and torquing on those bolts hourly. (sorry...has this been stressed enough?)

FitchVA said:
i did mine a little different when lifting it up 4.5". i jacked mine up as high as it could go, then supported the body with the jackstands and left the jack on the axle. after removing the tires, i lowerd the jack 1/2 way to take some weight off of the leafs. and did one leaf at a time.
Ditto. Except I'd recommend lifting it a few inches higher than you think you'd need...we were too conservative in that figure on mine and ended up doing a number of unsafe things to lift it furthere, because unloaded 4.5" lift spring+shackle drove the axle too close to the ground to get a jack under it... :twak:

I bought some concrete blocks- they are cheap and they work pretty good too! :)
I couldn't get the leaf spring bolts off though- (tried torch, breaker bar, cheater, pb'd it to death) I'll be cutting them off soon and putting a bolt through the rails. Good Luck and God be with ya!

Codeman said:
I bought some concrete blocks- they are cheap and they work pretty good too! :)
I can't tell if you're kidding or not...concrete blocks are not structural, and to re-word your closing remark (Good Luck and God be with ya!) they are known as: Bad Luck and ya be with God! At least 6x6 don't crack and shatter under load.

I second that. I've personally gone through 3 cinder blocks used for that purpose. None failed at a time when it would hurt me or damage the vehicle, but they all failed. Stick with something solid.

when I was young dumb and full of c.... I changed the clutch on my honda accord while supporting the front half of the vehicle on 2 8x8x16 blocks. now I look back and it disturbs me that I am not dead... nowadays I use a pair of good quality heavy duty jack stands and after I lower the vehicle down onto them I only lower the jack about an inch below that. then I kick the stands or smack em with a bar to make sure that they aren't going to slip on me. then I jump on the vehicle and shake it about to double check.

hazardous to your help is one thing, it means you'll problably live and be disabled or something like that. but working under a 2 ton rig is life threatening if the proper precautions are not taken...

Lou said:
XJ91,

I believe you should be able to turn the bolts with the weight on then -- start blasting and torquing on those bolts hourly. (sorry...has this been stressed enough?)

A co-worker was in NJ a couple of weeks ago and I joked and asked him to bring me a can back. Voila he did, I was shocked and only cost me $5 CAD...

Yucca-Man said:
I can't tell if you're kidding or not...concrete blocks are not structural, and to re-word your closing remark (Good Luck and God be with ya!) they are known as: Bad Luck and ya be with God! At least 6x6 don't crack and shatter under load.

Good thing I didn't think of cinder blocks. :twak:

Rawbrown said:
ThanX, to ALL WITH THE SAME IDEA.

i did mine a little different when lifting it up 4.5". i jacked mine up as high as it could go, then supported the body with the jackstands and left the jack on the axle. after removing the tires, i lowerd the jack 1/2 way to take some weight off of the leafs. and did one leaf at a time. but i'd use the wood as a end-all-save all to backup the jackstands. ...but that's just how i did it.

I didn't even think to do it this way. :doh:
Looks like I'm gonig with Jacks under the frame and Hydrolic lift under the axle. :thumbup: :cheers:

Yucca-Man said:
Ditto. Except I'd recommend lifting it a few inches higher than you think you'd need...we were too conservative in that figure on mine and ended up doing a number of unsafe things to lift it furthere, because unloaded 4.5" lift spring+shackle drove the axle too close to the ground to get a jack under it... :twak:
yeah, we jacked mine up as far as we could. then had my 6ton jackstands under it as high as we could get them w/out hitting the roof of the garage. then left the jack under the axle. yeah, once the leafs were on, the drums were too low to mount the tires on, but we just jacked the axle up after the leafs were on, and put on the tires :thumbup: it worked real well for us.

Lou said:
XJ91,

I didnt actually have PB... but the guy who started the thread did. I ususally use Releaseall from Canadian Tire..... seems to work well enough.

Back