• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose Steering

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have incredibly loose steering in my 90 did that year or Cherokees as a whole have problems with the gear boxes? I have been told it is the core and sector(steering box). I'm not sure though because that was CAR-X(not to offend anyone) I just have been screwed by them before. Anyway if its common for the gear boxes to go or anything else let me know.

Loose steering can be caused by tons of things, and rarely is it the steering gear box.

1. Check toe in.
2. Check track bar bushings
3. Check tie rod ends.
4. Check control arm bushings.
5. Check ball joints.
7. Rotate the tires

Well, not in my '90. Things are sweet, but read on. You might just take the time to do the basics and inspect the joints (as per Old_Man). Depending on the mileage, you may be way past due for replacement. I replaced most of the joints in mine when the trackbar joint began dying around 95K. It's cheap and relatively easy. These things wear out. Especially after 15 years of use.

But more to the point, what exactly is the looseness? Does it including a dull thud or click when you turn side-to-side? Either way, crawl under it and have a friend (whom you trust) turn the wheel and see if you can see any slop. Heck, the joints may be worn enough you can rattle them all by yourself.

-Rich

Last edited:
Yeah I'll get to that tomorrow. I never really thought about just taking the time to look under there. I always just figured it was the steering box. Thanks.

Back