• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

!! Urgent Help !! Sye Installed - Now Xj's A No Go

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
background: installed advanced adapters sye kit this weekend.

when i was done, and with both driveshafts disconnected, i had a friend start it up and go through the selectors on the tc. 2wd, turned fine. 4hi, turned fine. 4lo, turned fine. so i hooked up the front and let the jeep sit till the new driveshaft from tom woods showed up (30 minutes ago). installed it. then had a friend put the xj in gear while i watched the tc. i saw the output yolk start to move and the new ds moved about 1/2" and then nothing. stopped moving. i had the friend stop cause it almost seemed as though it was binding up. and i'm scared to give it more gas, not wanting to gernade my transfer case. anybody have any ideas or run across this before? i have to take the xj on a road trip friday so i'd really rather not have to take the tc apart in my driveway again. please, any info or suggestions to try or look for would be greatly appreciated. thanks

oh yeah, other important info:
* np231

Make sure the shifter knob on the t-case and the handle inside are in the same position "2wd". I had my t-case in neutral and the linkage fit on with the handle in 2wd it was awhile ago but I think it was the linkage was bound up not sure but give it a look

Release the parking brake!!Just kidding.
Although its been awhile since Ive been in mine they are pretty straight forward to install.I dont believe on the 231 that you can engage both ranges at the same time,thats the only thing that would "lock-down" the gear set.Without running the motor,put the trans in neutral and work the tranfer case through the gears while trying to roll the vehicle.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Release the parking brake!!Just kidding.
Although its been awhile since Ive been in mine they are pretty straight forward to install.I dont believe on the 231 that you can engage both ranges at the same time,thats the only thing that would "lock-down" the gear set.Without running the motor,put the trans in neutral and work the tranfer case through the gears while trying to roll the vehicle.
thanks for the replies guys. i was really freaking out cause i had no clue what was going on. espeically because it turned like a champ w/ the driveshafts off. but then i got to thinking. and as it turns out rcp phx, you were correct. the parking break was the problem!! but not because it was engaged anymore.

i did all of my work in the lot of my apt complex. and it has a hill so i parked the xj up agains the curb going downhill. so if something did give way and it wanted to roll, it was already up against the curb ~ thus, no movement. well when i was backing up the last foot from where i parked the night before, i forgot the disengage the parking break. and i didn't realize it until i put the tranny into park. but i didn't think anything of it

so i went to test out my theory of the parking break being bound out or still engaged even though the p bake handle was down. so i put both the tranny and tc in neutral and tried to push the xj. wouldn't budge an inch. (i was in a compitetion once where i had to push a 4-door chevy cavileer w/ 4 football players the length of a football field -- so i figured i could move the xj at least a foot.

so i jacked up the rear axle and tried to turn the tires. nada, nothing. so i gave 'em a good yank and heard a little grunt and the tires starting spinning.

got in, did a few tests in the parking spot and everything seemd a.o.k. this time. so i had a friend follow me around town a few times and everything seems peachy!!!

i feel like an idiot. but i was panicing cause i have a long roadtrip friday. and i only have the xj for transportation. thanks again for the suggestions. damn, i need a valium to calm me down :cheers::cheers:

Back