• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Front Bump Stops

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a set of extended Poly bump stops. The originals have a threaded stud and screw into the bottom of the tower. The new ones are cylinder shaped with a hollow center. How the heck are these things installed?? I double checked and did buy them for the correct year.

Sounds like the newer ones mount on the bottom, on the coil pad. Did they come with a self-tapping bolt/screw? If so, you need to drill a pilot hole in the handy indent in the bottom of the pad and bolt the spacer on.

Well, the newer xj's use a welded on cup type arrangement on the lower end of the coil guide. THe stock bump stops fit into this cup and kind of snap in place. I purchased a set of extended bump stops recently and they were much too large in diameter to fit in the cups. I ended up turning them down. Richard (Goatman) also apparently ended up with the same stops as I did, but he had the older xj with the threaded coil guide. He drilled the middle of the new bump stops with a 3/4" bit to an inch or so of the end. He then added a washer and bolt through the middle of the bump stop and bolted them on just like stock. Seems to work for him. Jeff

I know the factory bumpstops are removable, since I had them out before. So what you are saying is that the fixture that retains the rubber bumper is what the poly bumper fits into?? I am assuming that removing the old rubber ones can be a PITA, but at least it can be done off the vehicle.

both my 96 and 98 had the snap-in style. when i put in the extended stops i got they also snapped in just fine. i sprayed some adhesive in there just for good measure, never had a problem.
-Ben

you could also go budget and flex it out and shove a hockey puck in there, they are like an 1.5in high, its hard to hit with 30's on a 3in lift

Back