• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Max allowable temp

JEEPERCREEPER

NAXJA Forum User
Just got back from a few weeks in Arizona where it's been 105-110 degrees and the XJ did OK temp wise. It ran mostly 210-220 but approached 230 a few times. At what temp do I pull it over and turn it off? 235? 240? 245??? It's an '89 with the closed loop in good shape (new hoses, clean rediator, new bottle cap etc). I've seen a few threads on the topic, but what about running no anti-freeze/summer coolant and going to straight distilled water and "WaterWetter" or a similar product. Is it true that you can get more cooling out of water then a 50/50 mix? What happens if you go over 50/50, like 70% coolant/30% water? Do you loose cooling efficiency? Are there differences in the quality of coolant? What about the products called "-20" or "-40"...suppose to be "super coolants"? Thanks!

it would be a good idea to swap to the open system with a new 3 row radiator, it would be an easy swap and only about $200. 100% water cools the best, but has no resistance to freezing. Water-wetter works well in my experience, others disagree. I think anything over 210 is too much, that's what it was designed to run at, now as for how much over before you stop, I do 220, but that's an individual decision.

Have to disagree with Brett on this one. The only advantage of going to the open system is getting rid of the sometimes leak prone plastic bottle.......there is NO advantage in cooling. From a purely technical standpoint, a closed system is supposed to be slightly better than an open system for pure cooling ability. I live in Bakersfield, CA, in the central valley, where it regularly gets 100+ and I drive up long hills to go anywhere to wheel.......and I'm still running the closed system. I've had a small amount of trouble with overheating three times (in 9 yrs). First time the stock radiator was partially plugged, replaced it with a new two core. Second time the now four year old radiator was partially plugged, had it rodded out and back flushed the motor (which I should have done the first time). Third time I had trouble getting a good cap on the plastic bottle, went through three of them, until a tech at the Jeep dealership gave me the part number to a Volvo cap that is a much better cap, bought it and no more problems. My plastic bottle cracked and started to leak one time, I always carry a spare, and it took about 10 minutes to change it out.

What is too hot is when the temp gauge is in the red, if it's not in the red you are OK........not good, maybe, and at risk of it getting into the red, but OK. Under a good load, on a hot day, it can run at 230 with no ill effects, and even hotter. What's not good is if the water boils inside the cooling system, actually in the block, in which case the cooling ability pretty much stops and the water escapes the system due to the high pressure........from the pressure relief in the cap on an open system and through the escape hole in the cap of a closed system. Two things increase the boiling point of the water, anti-freese/coolant and pressure. The system runs under pressure so the boiling point is increased allowing hotter temps without boiling. When the cap is bad (typical on a closed system) the system can't hold the pressure, so the boiling point is lowered and water escapes the system. The coolant also inhibits corosion, and corosion is what plugs the tubes of the radiator, diminishing the cooling abilty. So, a certain amount of coolant/anti-freeze is good, and a good cap is mandatory.

Usually, running continually at over 220 means the system should be checked out, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll find anything wrong based on the conditions. Running that hot more than breifly means you should check things out when you get home, but it doesn't mean that anything bad is happening to the engine, unless it gets into the red. BTW, the auxilliary fan comes on at 210*.

Last edited:
More specific answers: :)

JEEPERCREEPER said:
Just got back from a few weeks in Arizona where it's been 105-110 degrees and the XJ did OK temp wise. It ran mostly 210-220 but approached 230 a few times. !

Sounds normal to me.

JEEPERCREEPER said:
At what temp do I pull it over and turn it off? 235? 240? 245??? !

When it get's into the red you should stop and get it cooled down. If it's getting close to the red you should stop and check it out to see if something obvious is happening.

JEEPERCREEPER said:
It's an '89 with the closed loop in good shape (new hoses, clean rediator, new bottle cap etc). I've seen a few threads on the topic, but what about running no anti-freeze/summer coolant and going to straight distilled water and "WaterWetter" or a similar product. Is it true that you can get more cooling out of water then a 50/50 mix? What happens if you go over 50/50, like 70% coolant/30% water? Do you loose cooling efficiency? Are there differences in the quality of coolant? What about the products called "-20" or "-40"...suppose to be "super coolants"? Thanks!

See my above post about the closed system. Some coolant is good, even necessary, but not too much. WaterWetter is supposed to be a good product, I just bought some to go in my new stroker.

As long as it is not boiling over, you should be fine. Remember the purpose of the pressure cap is to raise the boiling point of the water. Also, you will be better running antifreeze. It increases the specific gravity and the thermal carrying capacity of the coolant. It also controls corrosion. Pure water will cause problems. You can get by with DI water for a while, but even it will eventially cause corrosion.

I've experimented with just distilled water and just anti-freeze and recommend using the mix. Distilled water by itself does cool better BUT add any slight contaminate into the equation and that's out the window. And unless your system is brand-stenken-new and super clean, it's already dirty. Pure antifreeze boils over rather fast. As for the mix 50/50 fits most weather conditions for this time of year (if I remembers right) but if ya read the bottle it'll tell what temp ranges each mix covers.

Sarge

Goatman summed it up pretty well, and pay attention to the comments regarding corrosion protection. Pure water will corrode the internals of the engine rather quickly. A 50/50 mix is considered a year 'round mix. For very hot weather you might reduce to 40% or 30% anti-freeze, but I wouldn't go lower than 30%.

How's your viscous fan clutch?

Back