• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight fuse?

azee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

Since I blew my headlight fusible link a few weeks ago, I tried to splice in the same gauge link. However, I have been unable to find the same size fusible link ANYWHERE. I've only found 16 GA link at all the autoparts stores I've been to, and IIRC I need 18 GA. I don't feel comfortable using a higher GA link.

To be on the safe side, I spliced in a smaller wire and a blade type fuse. The question is:

What size fuse should I use for the headlights? Is a 25 or 30A fuse acceptable?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

What year XJ and what wattage headlamps are you running?

Basically, watts = volts x amps. If you run stock-ish sealed beams with 65 watt high beams, two headlamps give you 130 watts. Your system actually runs at about 14 volts, so

130 = 14 X

X = 130/14 = 9.28 amps

headlight- use an auto-reset breaker

If you like darkness instead of light when something gets grumpy, then by all means use a fuse or fusible link. I can't understand why manufactureres get away with doing that. The RIGHT ANSWER is to use an automatic-reset circuit breaker, cost about $6, that cuts out then comes back on, cuts out then back on, etc. when there is a short circuit. The result is flashing lights while protecting the electric wiring, and enough light to safely get off the road. You can see this product in the catalog for Wrangler NW Power Products. www.wranglernw.com :idea: :idea:

its a stock '89 XJ with cheapo oem-style replacement foglights (stock wiring, though).

9.28 amps?!? that would mean that i *should* be able to simply put in a 10A fuse and be okay?

i'm concerned because the 20A fuse blew after about 20 miles of driving (i was sitting at a light and POOF....no lights).

could this mean a short somewhere? i find it hard to believe that the oem fusible link is only 10A or so. that 18 GA link seems pretty thick (despite the thick insulation), and when i compare it to the wimpy wire within the 10A blade fuse, i get totally lost.

i've popped in a 25A fuse for now, although i am not doing any nighttime driving until i figure this out.

i guess fusible links are available from the dealership?

any idears, folks?

thanks again....

IIRC when talking to an electrician friend of mine you don't want to use more than 80% of a circuit's capacity. On a breaker in your house on a 20 amp circuit you wouldn't want to draw any more than 16 amps through that circuit. I asked him if that was the same for DC and he said he believed so. If that's the case then a 15 amp fuse would suffice for the 9.28 amps that the head lights are drawing. Now you need to figure out if anything else is on that same circuit drawing additional power. More importantly you said you are blowing 20 amp fuses (currently at a 50% current draw) which leads me to believe there is a short somewhere that needs to be corrected. Good luck finding it.

FIXED PROBLEM!

I have a heavy duty headlight wiring harness, each lamp is controlled by a separate relay. One of them was SMOKING hot when the power was turned on...

Pulled out the hot relay, and presto, the other headlamp came on!!

Replaced relay... both headlights now work!

I suspect this bad relay is also what was causing my battery to drain!

FIXED PROBLEM!

I have a heavy duty headlight wiring harness, each lamp is controlled by a separate relay. One of them was SMOKING hot when the power was turned on...

Pulled out the hot relay, and presto, the other headlamp came on!!

Replaced relay... both headlights now work!

I suspect this bad relay is also what was causing my battery to drain!

And you posted this information to a six year old thread because...? :D

closure?:looney:

Yeah, but unless he changed his user name he wasn't in the 04 discussion?

Could be a case of reincarnation.

Back