• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 lift sye require or not?

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 90 xj limited np242 t-case am planing to get a 4.5 lift my concern is do i need the sye or not i been searching and some said yes and others no and really need some coments so i can make some plans to buy the sye

herreraxto said:
i have a 90 xj limited np242 t-case am planing to get a 4.5 lift my concern is do i need the sye or not i been searching and some said yes and others no and really need some coments so i can make some plans to buy the sye
Look at the oupt shaft on your transfer case, does it have a slip yoke, don't go by the year, at any given point in it's life it could have had a new TC put in.
You will need a new driveshaft similar to the front one with a slip joint in it though so plan for that.

I would say that yes you are going to need one to avoid problems with your driveline. I put one on my 242, 95 Country with only a 3.5" lift cause of driveline vibe on deacceleration. I bought my SYE\CV D-shaft from Tom Woods. It has worked out great! It's been installed now for about 2 months, no problems what so ever.

Why not get a SYE. :dunno: There are many advatages.

1. longer drive shaft= less DS angle.

2. No slip yoke, = security in getting home, if the rear shaft gets damadged, by being able to drive home on the front shaft.

3. Reduces the risk of having driveline vibes

4. Opertunity to put a stonger out put shaft in the T/C

5. Longer D/S, may eliminate the need to lower the T/C = More clearance.

I'm sure there are others, but If I had to do it again, I would still get a SYE Started @ 4 1/2", then went to 5 1/2".
Just my $.02

Rob

Adam Duncan said:
I disagree. I have 8" of lift and only have a TC drop (1") and only experience minor vibes at about 20 mph and at 70 mph.

Man thats hard to believe....

Every Jeep is different......

The rule on the Cherokee is anything over 3.5" you "may" need the SYE and a new DS.

but really its a trial and error thing....put on your lift and see if its ok....
if you not going to doing real serious wheelin...then you may be fine

You'll need the SYE at that height. Being that you have the NP242, you will need the "hack-n-tap" setup from Rubicon Express. This is what I did. All you have to do is give them the stock length of your driveshaft, how much lift your going with, and sit back and wait for the SYE and driveshaft in the mail. They already know the calculations for the new driveshaft length so you don't have to worry about figuring it out. It's going to run you about $340.00 for the shaft and SYE from them.

up til a few weeks ago i was SYE'less at 7.5" (just a drop and shims, no vibes at all on a 242). i put on the SYE for peace of mind and to get a beefier shaft with the axle swap, but i didnt have any driveline issues. i know every jeep is different, but i thikn its funny that everyone always jumps on the bandwagon to get the SYE no matter what. it may NOT be needed....remember guys, every jeep is different. at any rate, lifting it first, THEN buying parts is the best plan (as long as you have cash set aside to buy them if the need be). im not saying that its good to drive around with the slip yoke, merely that it IS possible if youre on a budget.
-Ben

you'll need one to do it right. but it's possible you could go without and be just fine for many years. I had an '88 XJ lifted 4 inches and it did not have any vibrations and still has had no problems 2 years later. My MJ has 7-8" of lift with no SYE, 10,000 miles, and no problems, but the driveshaft angle is about the same as an XJ with a 3" lift since the MJ has a longer wheelbase. at the very least get a YJ slipyoke, it is slightly longer, but more importantly it will take a higher angle before it binds.

at 5" lift i had no vibrations with my 242 and D44 rear end. however when doing a gear/locker install i found out that a at full droop,both wheels, the driveshaft locked due to bad angles. on the trail it wasn't normaly a problem in the rocks. but in the dessert it would be possible to get both wheels dropping in the whoop-dee-doos. currently running a tom wood sye. came with a shaft. shaft took a hit or two on the rubicon 2 weeks ago and it still is vibration free.

mikeyl said:
at 5" lift i had no vibrations with my 242 and D44 rear end. however when doing a gear/locker install i found out that a at full droop,both wheels, the driveshaft locked due to bad angles. on the trail it wasn't normaly a problem in the rocks. but in the dessert it would be possible to get both wheels dropping in the whoop-dee-doos. currently running a tom wood sye. came with a shaft. shaft took a hit or two on the rubicon 2 weeks ago and it still is vibration free.
that bind is what the YJ yoke helps with, there's a picture of one next to an XJ yoke in the link in my signature.

I dont mean to hijack...but are you saying that a YJ slipyoke will help driveshaft problems because it is a little longer? i have an 87 cherokee with a 2" BB so would it help to go to a junkyard and get a yj slipyoke??

With my 88 and NP242 I didn't have any problems at 4.5" with the stock set up. Only when I went up to over 6" did the vibs start. So I went with a RE Hack and Tap deal. I believe that the slip yoke on 242's is longer than the 231's thus less likely to vib. But that could be hear say as I have never measured them. Juice

Getting vibes or not is not some mystical unknown, it's just geometry. Yes, you can lift 4" without getting vibes. the thing is to position your axle pinion shaft correctly. It should be parallel to the transfer case shaft. Go here: http://www.madxj.com/

then go to the "technical" section and look towards the bottom for the driveshaft angle picture post.

Lots of people get this all wrong by putting in a shim to point the pinion shaft directly at the end of the t-case. That is about the worst thing you can do with a stock style shaft (single U-joint on both ends). That IS what you do if you get a driveshaft with a double cardan joint (CV) at the T-case.

Angle your pinion shaft correctly, then check the yoke at full droop. It better still be on the shaft a good few inches, or you at least need an extended yoke. Have fun. Jer

6.5" lift, AX15, NP231, started with a D35c, now have a D44, 1" TC drop and never had any vibes.

...Believe it, or not :shhh:

Back