• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Clicking?" from axle shaft between rear end and brakes when braking

greenlawnjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
This condition only happens when braking and when you are almost completely stopped. Only does it on the passenger side. Did the brakes with new drums in December and all was OK till about a month ago. Used a rubber hose as a stethoscope and noise can be described as either "click, click, click" or "thumpt, thumpt, thumpt" and if the sound was coming directly from the rear end housing, I would swear it would be a broken tooth on the rear gear - but noise only happens when brakes are applied, and like said previously, the sound starts just prior to being almost stopped. The slower you go, the more noticeable the noise. No sound when car is running or while braking to a stop in reverse. Bled brakes a wk ago and sound seem to have stopped - sound came back and bled brakes yesterday with no effect. Pulled the drum and everthing appears OK Any clues? Vehicle is a '96 with 40K miles. Could it be antilock brake related?

Could be a cracked drum. Happened to my '90 once. Used cheap Chinaware drums and one developed a hairline crack. Couldn't see it at all. Sound only showed up when the brakes were applied and the drum was expanded by the shoes. New drum fixed it. Had the dealer do it and the sevice manager said the exact same thing happened to hers. Weird but true.

Matthew Currie said:
Check the rear universal joint?
Hi Matt,
I did grab the driveshaft and try to check for slop. Seemed tight. Will check again. Being sound is confined to the PS of the axle shaft, I wouldn't think the ujoint would be an issue but will check this again. Thanks for your reply
Fred

kevin s said:
Could be a cracked drum. Happened to my '90 once. Used cheap Chinaware drums and one developed a hairline crack. Couldn't see it at all. Sound only showed up when the brakes were applied and the drum was expanded by the shoes. New drum fixed it. Had the dealer do it and the sevice manager said the exact same thing happened to hers. Weird but true.

Hi Kevin,
I bought the Raybestos Drums from Pep Boys at about $50 a pop. I think they were made in Canada. Will pull the PS off and take a close look. Thanks for your reply, Fred

Check out THIS LINK regarding brake noise issues. It may contain some other hints for you...

Ivan

Ivan said:
Check out THIS LINK regarding brake noise issues. It may contain some other hints for you...

Ivan

Hi Ivan,
Sounds like the same thing! Too bad the fix wasn't put in the thread. I will email Burley and see what happened. I didn't have the emergency brake on mine when I took the drums off - I didn't think it was possible to do this. Thanks for your help, Fred

greenlawnjeeper said:
This condition only happens when braking and when you are almost completely stopped. Only does it on the passenger side. Did the brakes with new drums in December and all was OK till about a month ago. Used a rubber hose as a stethoscope and noise can be described as either "click, click, click" or "thumpt, thumpt, thumpt" and if the sound was coming directly from the rear end housing, I would swear it would be a broken tooth on the rear gear - but noise only happens when brakes are applied, and like said previously, the sound starts just prior to being almost stopped. The slower you go, the more noticeable the noise. No sound when car is running or while braking to a stop in reverse. Bled brakes a wk ago and sound seem to have stopped - sound came back and bled brakes yesterday with no effect. Pulled the drum and everthing appears OK Any clues? Vehicle is a '96 with 40K miles. Could it be antilock brake related?

My last attempt at fixing this will be this afternoon. Since I'm having trouble bleeding the rear right wheel cylinder, I bought another one and will install it. Maybe (WTFK's) there is air locked up somewhere that is causing something to vibrate when the brakes are applied. And maybe when I'm taking all the brakes apart (again, woopee) I'll see something amiss. I'm also thinking of taking the rear end cover off and seeing if anything shows up there. Again, WTFKnows

greenlawnjeeper said:
My 93 did the exact same thing, was irritating as hell! I pulled off the drums, checked everything out, put it back together and it hasn't done it since. Go figure!

Mike Harris

First off, thank all of you who replied and tried to be of assistance. I appreciate your help. As I think I mentioned, I was having trouble bleeding the Pass side rear. The fluid didn't pull out even with the manual suction bleeder gun. Gravity bleeding seemed to take forever and fluid just didn't want to flow as I thought it should. I replaced the wheel cylinder, cleaned everything up again (even though brakes were just done in January and had only about 4000 miles on them), relubed the pivot points with hi-temp lube and reassembled everything. Boy do I hate those freakin' drum brakes, who TF ever designed them? Did a road test and No noise! Just for good measure and before I forgot where everything went, I did the other side. It was either the wheel cylinder with an air lock causing pulsating or the shoes weren't "floating" on the pivot points. In any event, it's done. If that didn't do it, my next step would have been the axle shaft bearings.

I'm screwed. The noise came back yesterday after being OK for 2 days.

greenlawnjeeper said:
First off, thank all of you who replied and tried to be of assistance. I appreciate your help. As I think I mentioned, I was having trouble bleeding the Pass side rear. The fluid didn't pull out even with the manual suction bleeder gun. Gravity bleeding seemed to take forever and fluid just didn't want to flow as I thought it should. I replaced the wheel cylinder, cleaned everything up again (even though brakes were just done in January and had only about 4000 miles on them), relubed the pivot points with hi-temp lube and reassembled everything. Boy do I hate those freakin' drum brakes, who TF ever designed them? Did a road test and No noise! Just for good measure and before I forgot where everything went, I did the other side. It was either the wheel cylinder with an air lock causing pulsating or the shoes weren't "floating" on the pivot points. In any event, it's done. If that didn't do it, my next step would have been the axle shaft bearings.

Maybe related maybe not.
I have had the same problem for a while, I also get it dirty a lot so I am always removing the drums to wash off mud etc and something never looked right until I realised that Jeep shoes are handed, leading and trailing shoes, the longer linings being the trailing shoe.
Mine had both leading shoes on one side and trailing on the other. The side that was clicking was the wheel that had both leading edge shoes fitted which incidentally is the same side as yours.
This meant that the self adjustment would not work.
I could always lose the clicking /clunking by adjusting the shoes up. I always had a cr*p handbrake!
Anyway having now got one leading and one trailing shoe on each side, the handbrake is now fine and the clicking/ clunking has gone away.
So maybe your clicking is related to adjustment. You could check your shoes are installed correctly but also that the adjuster is free.
I also didn't realise that the adjustment only works when you brake in reverse!

Incidentally my shoes were fitted by a dealer here in the U.K. which just goes to show, never totally trust a dealer!

Hope this helps
Pete

Hi Pete,
Mine are installed correctly - leading/trailing where there should be. You might have something with the adjustment. When I put my drums back, I just try to have the brakes adjusted out so I can just get the drum on. I haven't adjusted them the way you should because it's a PITA. I do have the correct tool so maybe it's time I try to do it the right way. Thanks, Fred
ps. After my prior post, the noise went away for a day or two but then came back!.

Jeepinpete said:
Maybe related maybe not.
I have had the same problem for a while, I also get it dirty a lot so I am always removing the drums to wash off mud etc and something never looked right until I realised that Jeep shoes are handed, leading and trailing shoes, the longer linings being the trailing shoe.
Mine had both leading shoes on one side and trailing on the other. The side that was clicking was the wheel that had both leading edge shoes fitted which incidentally is the same side as yours.
This meant that the self adjustment would not work.
I could always lose the clicking /clunking by adjusting the shoes up. I always had a cr*p handbrake!
Anyway having now got one leading and one trailing shoe on each side, the handbrake is now fine and the clicking/ clunking has gone away.
So maybe your clicking is related to adjustment. You could check your shoes are installed correctly but also that the adjuster is free.
I also didn't realise that the adjustment only works when you brake in reverse!

Incidentally my shoes were fitted by a dealer here in the U.K. which just goes to show, never totally trust a dealer!

Hope this helps
Pete

I always have to back off my adjustment to get the drums off, its a real PIA but it does ensure they are adjusted. I did flatten the lip with a model grinding tool which helped but they still needed to be backed off to get them off.
12 days now and no clicking, first time for a long time!!!

Pete

Back