• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob question about gears & lift

enigma94

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj and i have been looking at the rubicon 5.5'' lift but i am not sure if i want to do the long arm kit or not. what are the pro's and con's of the long arm vs. the extreme duty lift?

Also i will be running 33's so what gears do you guys recommend?

thanks for all of your help in advance!!!

Last edited:
Both these questions have been beat to hell, use the search function and you can get answers much faster.

Anyways, long arms are considered to ride better on the street (closer to stock angles) and also provide for more flex as the longer links provide a much better pivot.
There is nothing wrong with running the short arm kit, it still works very well but will have some quirks the long arm system may not.

Gears for 33s - Depends on your transmission, driving habits, and pocketbook. Some say 4.56s are perfect, some say 4.88. Need more info before I Can say for sure.

Also have you considered what you plan to do with your steering? The newer XJs are also said to be more prone to driveline vibes than the older models. Although I got away with 6" stock slip yoke and no vibes doesn't mean you will. I would budget for a SYE and custom driveshaft. Even if you don't get vibes it is a very worthwhile upgrade.

I have a manual tranny, and it will be a daily driver for a while but i dont usually take her over 80mph. pocketbook isnt too deep so the cheaper the better(but not if it means i will have to sacrafice something on the trails)

As far as the steering i havnt even began to look into that.

Go with 4.56 gears if you never go over 80 and have the 5 speed. Long-arm vs. short-art.....not a deep pocketbook.....short arms are cheaper and will ride just as good on the street if you get drop brackets, so take your pick.

Back