• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SOA for mj?

choppedzj

NAXJA Forum User
I see that RE has a SOA in the MJ lift kit. I would like to know if there is another way to SOA without the RE price of things? I have valley spring works 6" front coils and I want a nice SOA in the rear. Info from the pro's is great! This is a pre emptive thankyou,
brad

#1: Get spring pads from ______ (RE, MORE, MOPAR etc) and shock mounts from a similar outfit.

#2: Remove stock MJ pads, attach new pads on top of tube.

#3: Install front arms of your choice, coils, adjustable track bar, brake lines, shox.

#4: Get new driveshaft(s?) made to the correct length.

#5: Wheel it!

choppedzj said:
how does the spring pad sit on top of the axle without ordering a special kit?

Ummm, the pads are welded on top of the tubes.

When I SOA'd my MJ, I left the stock pads in place.

Proper terminology would clear up the confusion.

All you need to go SOA is new Spring Perches and shock mounts unless you like a bouncy ride. Weld the new perches on top of the axle and you have a place for your springs to sit. Im sure you can figure out shock mounts, SOA is a pretty basic concept for the most part.

If you wanted to you could figure out what your lift height is going to be, and then find the pinion angle you need and weld the perches on to give you that. Not necessary in your application though.

yep, it's really basic, just weld on new perches and shockmounts.

i'm nervous that if you don't understand the concept of SOA, so you understand everything else that needs to be done up front for 6 inches of lift? you can't just put 6 inch coils in and call it done.

woody said:
#1: Get spring pads from ______ (RE, MORE, MOPAR etc) and shock mounts from a similar outfit.

#2: Remove stock MJ pads, attach new pads on top of tube.

#3: Install front arms of your choice, coils, adjustable track bar, brake lines, shox.

#4: Get new driveshaft(s?) made to the correct length.

#5: Wheel it!
1a (substitutes for #1 and 2 above): Get an XJ axle and u-bolt plates. It's already spring-over but you need to address the lift in th front and as has been pointed out already it doesn't sound like you're fully aware of what is needed to add 6" to the front of an MJ/XJ.

Yucca-Man said:
1a (substitutes for #1 and 2 above): Get an XJ axle and u-bolt plates. It's already spring-over but you need to address the lift in th front and as has been pointed out already it doesn't sound like you're fully aware of what is needed to add 6" to the front of an MJ/XJ.
STOP RIGHT THERE!

have you actually bolted an XJ axle into an MJ before? obviously not, so don't go spreading false rumors.

when i did my SOA originally i used an XJ axle and both the perches and shockmounts have to be moved.

Quite true.

The MJ springs are centered under the 'framerails' where the XJ springs mount outboard of the rails. Two different spring pad (perch...pad is less typing) widths.

Also the XJ has the shox in a 1 ahead/1 behind setup...the MJ shocks both go straight & forward to the inside of the 'rails'...not conked in towards the spare tire. In SUA, the lower shock mts are part of the spring plate...In SOA the plates will work -as clamping plates- but be entirely too short to use to mount the shox...

Yucca-Man said:

Wait, so I didn't need to cut off my perches and weld on new ones when I put my MJ SOA 44 under my XJ on Saturday?

Seriously, though, it's not as simple as grabbing an XJ axle.

Also, look at the shock mount locations.

The best place to get new spring perches is from your local Mopar dealer (can be Dodge or Chrysler, does not have to be Jeep). The perches are in the Mopar Performance Catalog, and they are CHEAP ... like around $10 per PAIR. Those other places want $30 to $50 for perches that aren't any better, and in some cases aren't as good. Try a search ... I posted the part number a few weeks back.

Back