• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start Problem! Its Possessed!

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
hey,

My jeep suffers from an on and off no start problem, seems to be possessed, it just dont' start whenever ever it feels like being annoying. It won't even turn over when it happens, nothing, not a single noise. Sometimes i put it in neutral and it starts right up. Today though it would'nt start in park or neutral, i kept trying for maybe 15 minutes, i walked away for a mintute and my girlfriend turned the key, POOF it started first try in park!! what is up with this jeep? CPS or dirty NSS switch sound like possible culprets?

thanx,

eric

I cant remember what its called off of the top of my head but I think there is a switch that wont allow it to start till the transmission is in park. That may be bad.

It's called a neutral safety switch. They run about $300-$400. (that's not even at the dealer) Don't have a heart attack yet, they can be cleaned. The switch is filled with dilectric grease that gets very sticky over time. That and natural corrosion can cause your no start. Just get some electrical parts cleaner and clean up the contacts and you should be good to go.

Neil said:
It's called a neutral safety switch. They run about $300-$400. (that's not even at the dealer) Don't have a heart attack yet, they can be cleaned. The switch is filled with dilectric grease that gets very sticky over time. That and natural corrosion can cause your no start. Just get some electrical parts cleaner and clean up the contacts and you should be good to go.

Don't give up hope so far I have replaced or repaired the NSS,cap,rotor,anything that causes fire and the CPS to no help . My XJ hasn't moved in weeks only when she wants to .. I guess she is waiting for warm weather ... :banghead:
This problem only occurs on the first start of the day or when the engine has been off for several hours, never while the engine is running or hot. And the engine always runs smooth once it starts, never misses or stumbles. There is definitely no spark coming from the coil during these episodes. Not sure if it could be a bad coil or the ICU. But if they were bad I would expect it to affect all operating regimes, not just starting.

Will let you know more now into week four.. :looney:

geepers

Does it have the Anti-theft ??? Just had to remove mine for the same reason....

MC-92 said:
Does it have the Anti-theft ??? Just had to remove mine for the same reason....
no anti-theft here ... Well I guess I do the best one you can have >> Doesn't Start !!!! :tears:
geepers

next time it don't start slam the sterring wheel then try to start it.you mite have to do it more than once.the ignition switch hangs up inside. there is grease in there.

MDXJ said:
next time it don't start slam the sterring wheel then try to start it.you mite have to do it more than once.the ignition switch hangs up inside. there is grease in there.

You are my hero MDXJ ,
Were have you been ... Four weeks too late .. But I did get alot of work done :roll:
To all,
After four weeks in cold weather , rebuilt NSS, new CPS, wires , rotor , cap, battery and removed wire harness to check for shorts also while I was doing it front left axel , brakelines , znd alot of hair pulling !!!!! Guess what guys I should sell this on line for the tip of the year after reading all the threads about xj no starts ... I will release it here first , however still in testing of day two ... She starts ...
geepers

No Start Xj

Every now and then,my 89'will do the no start thingy.It has even stalled acoupla times at traffic lights.
I found out that if I pop the hood,and wiggle the injectors...it fires right up.
None of the injectors are leaking,and like I said,it only happens once in a while.

Back