• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

washed the mj and then.....

choppedzj

NAXJA Forum User
i washed the engine compartment on the mj and then the thing won't idle for shit and then stalls. Then, we took it out and the thing wouldn't leave forst gear. What gives?> I figure I got some water in some wires or something. Any idea of what controls this and where to find it?
THankyou again guys
brad

its the throttle position sensor. it is located on the front of the throttle body. if it is an auto it has 2 sets of wires comong from it. if it is manual it has only 1 set of wires coming from it.

Ditto

The TPS does not like water, especially under pressure

jneary said:
its the throttle position sensor. it is located on the front of the throttle body. if it is an auto it has 2 sets of wires comong from it. if it is manual it has only 1 set of wires coming from it.

It's actually at the back of the TB, not the front. The TPS connector may be cracked and if water gets into it, it'll cause the idling problems that you've described. The same also applies to the sensor itself.
If you're lucky, replacing the sensor will rectify the problem but if it doesn't, you may need to replace the connector as well (if you can find one from a junkyard).
When my connector went bad a year ago, I cut the wires going to it, removed it altogether, soldered three new wires to the pins of the sensor, and joined the wires to the wiring harness. I then sealed the recess in the sensor with RTV silicone to keep the water out. It's worked great ever since.

Back