• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gurus- detailed/long

XJ4PLAY

NAXJA Member #1194
I am upgrading my factory starting and charging system cables. In doing so I have come across a difference in theory for a connection. Please advise on the pros and cons of doing it either way. Thank you.

1996 Cherokee, 4.0L, automatic, Optima yellow top, 165 amp alternator, Warn winch, Thomas 12V elecric air compressor, misc. other electric items.

FACTORY WIRING:
1) positive terminal of battery to starter.
2) PDC ( main fuse block in engine compartment ) to positive terminal of battery.
3) alternator output to PDC. This cable has a 125 amp fusible link.

NEW CABLES:
No change to #1 or #2.
On #3 it was suggested to do the following;
Remove the factory wire completely, this removes the fusible link. No problem with this as the size is too small.
I need to replace the fusible link and will do that with a resettable circuit breaker by Buss.
Alternator to new circuit breaker.
Circuit breaker to battery.

My questions are:
1) What size circuit breaker should I use?

Connecting the cables the NEW way would supply power to the battery directly. The PDC would then draw its power through the battery post connection.
2) Is this something to be concerned about?
3) Should it be connected a specific way?

Did I leave any information out or confuse you?
Let me know and I will try to help you help me.

Thank you

You are right on track. Either way will work. It makes no difference electrically what end of the link from Bat to PDC you hook the Alt to. Make sure you also upgrade the Bat to PDC so that’s not a bottleneck. Another thing to consider at this time is ground. I set mine up with a triangle so that I can lose any one link and be ok. It goes from Bat to frame, frame to block and block back to Bat. I mostly used #1 But some #4 I used and 100 amp slow fuse to replace the fusible link. My thinking being that it’s a 100 amp Alt so it shouldn’t blow the fuse up to the rating of the Alt, any more draw something is wrong. Keep I mind that the fusible link is only a catchall for major shorts the individual fuses should protect each circuit. I have had two electrical engineers tell me the Alt would fry before a fuse would do any good if you had a dead short between the Alt and Bat. The fusible link should be as close to the Alt as possible because the cable between the Alt and the new fuse/breaker is totally unprotected if it shorts. I mounted mine to the rim of the Bat box. One more thing, I used Mil Spec. Bat Terminals and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. I love mine. Good luck.

Back