• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango or ZJ...

Which is the better trailer car?

• Durango

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • ZJ Grand Cherokee

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WillySLC

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

It's a sad time in the family. The ol' faithful XJ (275K Miles) is steadily on the decline and I need to replace it with a more beefy trailer pulller. My choices seem to be either a 2000ish Durango or about the same ZJ. What do you guys think would make the better puller?

WillyS

I would go for the DN if you gona pull a trailer,DNs have leaf spring rears which I think are better for trailer pullin as in sway and stabilty,and the DN actually has a full frame under it, then a WJ or Zj with unibody construction........Try to find a DN with a pushrod 5.9 and a 46RE trans...proven combo.....They have not yet worked all the bugs out of the 4.7 and 45rfe trans just yet which are an option for later DNs and WJs..................Why dont just go for a DR with a HEMI 5.7?:D ................................

I have a Durango, towed the cricket through vail pass all the way to moab no problem....

I wouldn't think twice about a durango, especially if you are going to tow.....

here's some supporting info I picked up on edmunds:

WJ
weight:3980 lbs
wheelbase 105.9"
towing capacity 5000

Durango
weight: 4620
wheelbase 116.2"
towing capacity 7330

I sure wouldn't have wanted to tow my stuff with a vehicle with lesser wheelbase, or less vehicular wieght. My powerplant(4.7) was adequate for not being able to justify the added cost of a 5.9, and is plenty of engine for towing in the midwest.....it can do the mountains if it has to.

My folks got a durango to tow their camping trailer..... I drove it couple times and all I can say is.... if they only made a stick version :)

Kejtar

Durango

I tow with a 5.2 Dakota. Tows my jeep/trailer combo that weighs in at 6600 with relative ease. It gets about 10mpg. I do use trailer brakes and weight distribution. I haven't towed out west with it but it runs good around Indiana, I have no doubt that it will do a good job towing out west, a durago will do better due to the fact that the roof goes all the way back and the air flows better. My buddy towed his jeep to moab last year with a 5.9 durango and did a great job of towing in the moutains.

Just watch some of those 4.7,5.2, and 5.9s with around 80k miles, if they have not been propertly maintained they are known to build oil sluge and grenade the motors...

and where the hell has Rags been...

mac '5.2 requires premium to eliminate spark knock while towing' gyvr

:D

Thanks for all the input. I've been getting cold feet on the Durango reading ALOT of negative owner comments, specifically engines, transmissions and front suspensions. Also windows that don't work, door locks that wack out etc. REALLY makes me wonder...

Any additional thoughts?

WillyS

Read up on anything and there will be a lot of bad comments. You should see the comments on the dakota board that I visit from time to time. Its much worse than JU in content and all they do is moan and groan about their trucks. The motors need regular 3k or less oil changes, the trannys need service every 30k, just simple maintenance.

btw i bought my 99 with 31k last november, it has 38k now and everything works great, only thing I've had to do is replace a headlight switch.

mac 'nicest vehicle i've ever owned' gyvr

Back