• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I still get recalls done?

tnfan77

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Cherokee, 4.0, auto. I have looked up on the internet the various recalls for my year. Most of them pertain to the brakes and such. I also need a new o2 sensor, and so if i could get a new one for free that would be nice. :shhh: Basically I was just wondering if I can still get this stuff done due to the fact that im not the original owner and its 14 years old. Thanks alot.

Jake :helpme:

Yes, you can get any recall applied to your vehicle if it is lacking - ie never complied with the Recall.

I had Chrysler tell me on their 800 number that ALL recalls have a LIFETIME OF THE VEHICLE warranty. It your XJ still around in 2056 and the recall item fails the dealer will fix it for FREE. Ownership of the vehicle is not important, the warranty is on the vehicle and does not expire when the title it transferred. Recalls are "issued" for safety reasons. If your vehicle is not modified then it is still considered "unsafe" for that item. If that part failed and you took them to court the would use the like "we offered to fix it for free..." and try to shift the burden/liability onto you.

How do you know that you have "unapplied" recalls since you are not the first owner? Did you take your VIN to the dealer ask? Depending on the recall they may need to order the "kit" so schedule it a couple days in advance to make sure all the parts are there.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Martin. I am not sure if the recalls have been performed on my vehicle. I would just like to see. It is worth a shot right? :lecture:

If I may suggest, go to your local Jeep dealer and ask them to check to see if there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle. You will know if they show the new oxygen sensor installed, etc.

Do an experiment for me. Turn the ignition key to ON, foot off the brake, then push the button on the shifter. If you can move it out of park to any other gear then you are lacking the "shift interlock" recall. If you have to press the brake to be able to move the shifter then do have the shift interlock installed.

If the shift interlock recall had it appled to my XJ in April 98. If you have the shift interlock then I'd say all those other recalls have been applied.

Hey martin. i followed your advice and checked. I do have the shift interlock. I am still going to go and see if they have been fixed bacause some of the recalls are things that have been going south lately (o2 sensor, brakes, etc.) So, all I have to do is take in my vin # and they will be able to bring it up? Thanks alot for all the help.

My 1992 can cycle thru the gears without the brake, so I can have the work done for free without any labor or parts charge? If this is true Im about to take mine for repairs this week. Thanks for the info.
-Steve D.

So I go to the dealer to get my vin checked out. They say that the TPS (which I havent had any problems with yet) was replaced by the dealer LAST WEEK! Ive never taken this thing to the dealer and they said that it had been changed. Im thinking maybe he typed in the wrong vin, but it could just be the computer system. Should I call Chryco? What would be the best way to go about fixing this issue?

Thanks

Jake :smsoap:

if i remember correctly the recall states to check the date code on the original. if it falls within cartain perameters it quailfies.it may have been done by now though

so IF i take the vin into chrysler and have it checked they should have all the info on my truck as far as recalls go right???? where can i go (if anywhere else) but the dealer to see waht recalls i need and if htey have been done or not???

That's one of the first things I do after I have possesion of a used vehicle, is check for recalls that have not been seen to.

Alway good practice to check this out.

my '91 XJ, when I got it last year still needed the new rotors, now that was a bonus..

i found that i have a airbag recall on my 99 xj. just curious if the dealer would still warranty it even though i have modified my jeep. 3" lift and trimmed fenders.

thanks

Hey guys,I work for a dealership in SO CAL,I reccomend takin your XJ to the dealer,buying an oil change(20 bucks?,you probably need it) and askin the service advisor to check for any outstanding recalls!Just my opinion.

BTW not all of us are "stealerships"

corey k

I took my 90 into the dealer to have them adjust my TPS today and they said my o2 sensor is bad but the guy said "oh no,there was never an oxygen sensor recall on a 1990 and even if there was we wouldnt fix that now." Are they screwing me? Whats goin on?

StuckXJ said:
My 1992 can cycle thru the gears without the brake, so I can have the work done for free without any labor or parts charge? If this is true Im about to take mine for repairs this week. Thanks for the info.-Steve D.

The 'ole unintended acceleration gizmo ... I wonder how many nimrods actually drove through their garage or backed over the dog before Chrysler decided to install these. I guess there's a few people out there that can't tell their left from their right.

What's next ? ... an artificial voice telling you what P - R - N - D stands for.

No offense, but I denied the fix ... my ego just wouldn't allow it.

And Chrysler did make a note of my stubborn nature.

Back