• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad noise in modified 242 tc

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Hi,

I haven't posted in awhile, though I've been using the forum for at least six years or so. I'd appreciate some advice with this problem, thank you. This is my second post on the topic, I'm sorry but I'm geting desperate.

About 90k ago I installed a Currie sye on the 242 tc on my '98, along with a great ds Tom Woods built for me when he was at sixstates. Lately, when I shift from park to drive or to reverse, or reverse to drive, or from neutral to either direction, I get a MAJOR clunk in the tailshaft area where the double row rear tc bearing is located. I had my girlfriend sit in the vehicle and do the shifting, and while she shifted, I could see the ds rotate a number of degrees - I couldn't really tell how much, but it was very noticable - until some slack was taken up and the BAM sound was made.

I installed the sye kit myself and it's been fine up until this point. I'm not sure if the rear bearing is going bad, or there's something else worn inside and taking up the slack until it makes that horrific sound. What is also strange is that when I'm driving at speed, there's a point where if I let my foot off the gas to coast and slow down, I get a gosh-awful vibration until the revs drop below a certain point, and then everything is silky smooth again. The tc works fine otherwise, it really hasn't been abused or used that much at all, to be honest.

I think it was a minor miracle that I installed the currie sye successfully in the first place, and it lasted this long, but there's no way I can diagnose this noise. I can't tell you how greatfull I would be if someone could maybe suggest if something is about to grenade, or any other advice about this problem. It's my daily driver, and I'm almost considering waiting for something to pop just to buy some time (if that makes sense).

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Mike/ny

Member #300

What is leading you to believe the problem is in the T-case and not the rear axle? It sounds more like a rear-end problem to me than a T-case problem. I went through the same trial and error process last year with mine, I ended up rebuilding the T-case, rear-end, and replacing all the u-joints before I figured out it was the stupid CV ball/cup in the DS. I had a different problem, but my point is that what you might think is a problem in one area, is an entirely other problem.

Ayr

Ayr,

Thank you for the fast response. What leads me to beleive is that it's at the rear of the t-case is that I literally laid on the ground beneath the tc while she shifted and the noise could not be eminiating from anywhere but the tc tailshaft area, especially seeing the ds rotate x number of degrees before the bang sound was heard/felt. Taking your advice though, I think I'm going to put the xj on jackstands all around and try to narrow down further where the sound is coming from, from all points including the r/e.

Thank you again for the quick response!

Mike/#300

This may sound a little off line to you, but is there any play in the pinion bearings?? Can you grab the drive shaft at the pinion and move it up or down, or side to side? I have see this a few times, mostly from the front pinion. Just my .02 worth...

Hey Mike, it's been a long time :D.

My 242 just about always does this, although it's mostly only reverse to drive. I have the MIT SYE.

I think it is just slack in the entire system, and I have enough other junk going on that I don't even think about it. Hasn't gotten any worse over the years.

You might need a rebuild if you really want it stockish smooth.

Nay

CRC, Going to put the jeep of the ground to check your advice out, thanks. I'm assuming the problem from the back of the t/c case on back, but never gave the front end a thought, though.

Nay, thanks for remembering me :thumbup: I also know that my RE control arms are twisting like heck, can feel/hear them when accelerrating and breaking, and see 'em twist when hanging out the door, so I know what you mean about all the other stuff going on under there. They need a rebuild badly. Maybe I've just become more sensitive to the t/c problem, it has been going on for at least a 2k without any worsening. Like I said before, at the moment I have choice but to let it take it's course, sure wish I had I had a second vehicle to use so I can get my poor xj baby back up to snuff.

Thanks big time,

Mike 300

Take the rear ds off and do the shifting to get a better look. That will take the rear end of the mix to see if its the t-case or the cv centering kit. I just went through the samething with my front ds cv centering kit. it was as dry as Death Valley. Just an idea. juice

That'll be the easiest first step, removing the rear ds, still leaving the front end on the ground. Maybe I'll luck out and that double cardan cv joint set-up will be the culprit.

Thanks for your words, thye are really appreciated

Mike/#300

Back