• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carrier Removal

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve got a Dana30 that I’m pulling the gears out of to put in my truck, and having never torn into one I’m having a bit of a problem. I have the shafts out and the pinion nut broken and the bearing retainers off, but I can’t get the carrier out. Is there an easy way or is it just a brute forces thing? I understand that there is a tool called a case spreader or something do I need one of these? Is there something that I haven’t unhooked? Any way, if there is anything that anyone can tell me that will make removal easier with the carrier or the pinion I would really appreciate it.

I have never used a spreader for 30s or 35s,accept for bigger diffs like Dana 60s and 80s you have to......I have always used a pair of BFSD(Big F@@@ Screw Driver) or pry bars with great success.....................Rags

So the idea there is you stick one up for the bottom and one down from the top and pry against the case?

Owww I like that. Popping right out sound real good.
How hard is it to get the pinion out? Any one know a come right out trick for that?

Back