• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Post....rough starting problem solved

Sparky

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys, I was a registered member here years ago and had a computer crash that wiped out everything. Recently I have had a few problems and re-found this site. As always the people here have been great help.

I have a 95XJ Sport 5-speed 4WD with 90k miles.

Since last fall it had been starting rough and my mileage was slowly dropping. I did a tune up. Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, cleaned the throttle body but still had a hard time starting. It got so bad I had to put the pedal to the floor to get it started. When she fired off the gas smell and smoke was terrible. I did a bunch of reading and it seemed as though I might have leaky injectors. I took it to a local shop and they found the fuel pressure regulator diaphram was destroyed. This caused the gas to pump into the intake manifold and flood the engine when not running. At the same time I figured I would have some other crap repaired including the A/C and Oil pressure sensure. The old girl is running better then in a few years and I got 340 miles off the last tank -vs- 260 under the same driving conditions.

I still want to replace the O2 sensor since it is still original, but am extremely happy to have the rough starts solved.

Back