• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 output shaft

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
hey, was wondering if there are certain clamps that go on the rubber of the output shaft that can be taken off without breaking it. so if i ever break the u-joint again i can put the clamp back on. if so where should i buy them. thanks in advance.

etaniyani said:
hey, was wondering if there are certain clamps that go on the rubber of the output shaft that can be taken off without breaking it. so if i ever break the u-joint again i can put the clamp back on. if so where should i buy them. thanks in advance.

:huh:

Don't understand what you're talking about. IF you're wondering if there is a way to seal the back of the t-case in the event that you had to pull the driveline to go home......yes, you can buy a plastic plug that's made to plug the hole and seal it off so the oil doesn't run out on the drive home. Most parts stores have them, and so do the tool trucks. I've mostly seen them in a kit that comes with three different sized plugs.

no thats not what i meant. there is a rubber fitting around the output shaft of the transfer case that has a clamp around it to seal it off from dirt and what not. in the process of taking it off the clamp broke. can i use a clamp that is tightened by turning a screw or will it throw off the balance. hope this makes sense.

etaniyani said:
no thats not what i meant. there is a rubber fitting around the output shaft of the transfer case that has a clamp around it to seal it off from dirt and what not. in the process of taking it off the clamp broke. can i use a clamp that is tightened by turning a screw or will it throw off the balance. hope this makes sense.
Are you talking about the rubber boot on the left (forward) edge of this driveshaft?
old_dshaft.jpg

I'd use a light clamp on that, maybe a nylon ziptie; a screw one could give you vibrations...of course this is also a good reason for an SYE.

ya thats exactly what i meant. thanks. me and my brother want to go wheeling tomorrow i need to fix it. so ill use a tie strap as a temporary fix thanks.

Zip tie should do nicely. Just keep a couple extra in case you need to pull it off again.

Back