• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dead spot in steering

XJ Scot

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 00 XJ with a 4 in Rubicon Express lift. Ever since I installed the lift I have had a dead spot or delay when I turn the steering wheel. Everything is tight and I never have had death wobble. Any suggestions on how to tighten up the steering would be great.
thanks

Scot

Have a trusted friend sit in the driver's seat while you watch from the front. As the wheel turns, the axle should not shift at all, but a 'dead spot' sounds like your trackbar could be moving around a bit, probably at the frame end.

Once you lift a rig there will be more stress on all the bushings, bolts, mounts etc due to the new geometry so stuff does tend to come loose or wear out more often. It is always good practice to check everything on a regular basis and tighten/replace loose or worn parts....

BUT...

The stock steering setup on a jeep is an inverted "Y" which tends to create a dead spot when the jeep is lifted. This is a design related problem and there isn't much you can do without some sort of aftermarket or custom steering.
You'll see what I mean if you look at your tie-rod and drag link while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth. Since the drag link is on an angle you'll see it rotate slighty when the wheel is turned one direction and rotate the other when the wheel is turned the opposite direction. Once the drag link rotates to a point where the tie-rod ends prevent it from rotating any further it will then start to steer the tires. It's the rotation that gives you your dead spot. The drag link rotates before pulling or pushing on the tires so there is a spot between turning the wheels left or right where steering input is only rotating the drag link and not turning the wheels yet.

Bender said:
Once you lift a rig there will be more stress on all the bushings, bolts, mounts etc due to the new geometry so stuff does tend to come loose or wear out more often. It is always good practice to check everything on a regular basis and tighten/replace loose or worn parts....

BUT...

The stock steering setup on a jeep is an inverted "Y" which tends to create a dead spot when the jeep is lifted. This is a design related problem and there isn't much you can do without some sort of aftermarket or custom steering.
You'll see what I mean if you look at your tie-rod and drag link while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth. Since the drag link is on an angle you'll see it rotate slighty when the wheel is turned one direction and rotate the other when the wheel is turned the opposite direction. Once the drag link rotates to a point where the tie-rod ends prevent it from rotating any further it will then start to steer the tires. It's the rotation that gives you your dead spot. The drag link rotates before pulling or pushing on the tires so there is a spot between turning the wheels left or right where steering input is only rotating the drag link and not turning the wheels yet.

Fawking excellent, dead seksi description.
Exactly correct.
I can go to bed happy.
Believe it or not, this post has less than 4% sarcasm.
That is all.

Bender's description sounds to me like a worn joint- my tie-rod and draglink are securely connected to each other, and have no slop...doublechecked it with another XJ (5.5" lift) and no slop either....

Back