• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

it's time..

WHEEL'er-DLR

NAXJA Forum User
well it happen..i over heated the 4.0 and lost compression in cylinder 1 and 3, it's time to put in another one...here's my question? what yr or models of jeep am i limited to, i have a '91 xj w/4.0 and a auto trans.

i have found two '94 engines out of two wranglers.one with 119k and the other with 80k.........any year reccomended??
any year to stay away from?? please, let me here your opinions. thanks

WHEEL'er-DLR said:
well it happen..i over heated the 4.0 and lost compression in cylinder 1 and 3, it's time to put in another one...here's my question? what yr or models of jeep am i limited to, i have a '91 xj w/4.0 and a auto trans.

i have found two '94 engines out of two wranglers.one with 119k and the other with 80k.........any year reccomended??

I'd say either one would be fine. The lower the mileage the better.

WHEEL'er-DLR said:

Yeah, any 4.0L from 91'+ will work as those are all high output versions, these motors are still being made by Chrysler so you have many years to choose from. A 99'+ has a real nice intake that should add a few ponies. Try to get a low mileage 1 and a new 1 if possible. My 91' xj has 205K miles on an original tranny and motor and still running strong so this combo does have a good realiability record.

gary, richard is currently putting in his stroker. his other motors are pre-'91 [no ho] i have found two. 1 is from a '94 cherokee with 117k miles and the other is from a '94 wrangler w/ 120k. the prices are $700.00 with 6mo warranty. will the wrangler motor work? it had only two owners..

recom mfg sell a rebuilt for $1250 and a new one from jeep is $1700.

From my understanding you should be able to use your head on Richards block. Have you pulled the head to see if it just needs a new headgasket? I would have a motor lined up pull the head and see if it just needs a new headgasket, you can also check the cylinders for any galling at that time. Its doubtfull the whole engine needs replaced.

Whats low compression btw, if its withing 25% of the other cyl I would just run it, but would be tempted to replace the headgasket if it was over 20% lower.

How bad is it running?

Gary E said:
From my understanding you should be able to use your head on Richards block. Have you pulled the head to see if it just needs a new headgasket? I would have a motor lined up pull the head and see if it just needs a new headgasket, you can also check the cylinders for any galling at that time. Its doubtfull the whole engine needs replaced.

Whats low compression btw, if its withing 25% of the other cyl I would just run it, but would be tempted to replace the headgasket if it was over 20% lower.

How bad is it running?

Missing at idle, possible burnt valve or just the two low holes. Two cylinders are more than 25% lower than the others, and the others aren't up to snuff. Plus, it gets hot if pushed. Balancing the cost difference between a replacement motor and rebuilding the current one......plus considering the time before the Swamp trip.

My motors are are both 180k+ and are Renix.

gary...1 and 3 are running at 58% of other cylinders. there are no signs of water in the oil or water in the tail pipe. very rough idle at idle speed. runs smooth at higher rpm's. p.s. have found a '99 4.0 but i can not find the coolant temp. sending unit?? mine is locaded on the rear of the head. anyway, i ordered the '99 motor..hope it works!!! there are some differences in the wiring and manifolds.

Last edited:
WHEEL'er-DLR said:
gary...1 and 3 are running at 58% of other cylinders. there are no signs of water in the oil or water in the tail pipe. very rough idle at idle speed. runs smooth at higher rpm's. p.s. have found a '99 4.0 but i can not find the coolant temp. sending unit?? mine is locaded on the rear of the head.

I don't know the particulars of the swap, just guessing its got to be somewhere :)

gary thanks..but i ordered the '99 w/'62 k...$550....we'll see how she looks, supposed to be here tomorrow. :looney: [ maybe i can run swamp in 2 low now!!!] :) :laugh3: and possibly still outrun the stroker boys!!!

Back