• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Water Pump Help

brenttrf

NAXJA Forum User
About 2 weeks ago my wifes 2k XJ started leaking from the watr pump. On closer exam, I saw that it was leaking from the L-shaped black pipe that comes off the top of the pump. It was leaking from the threads as if it was unscrewing or loose.I don't know the name of it or what it does, but it attaches to a rubber hose which attaches back at the firewall. I did some trouble shooting and found that it only leaks when the A/C is on. So we haven't been running it and it has been fine. I need to fix it, so, I pulled it apart yeterday adn tha pipe was on very tight and it doesn''t look to be damaged at all. It has some red gunk on it, so it looks like it was set in there with locktight, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be any sealer or gasket anywhere, and it looks to be in perfect condition.

Any ideas? I am stumped to whether or not to replace this thing or just clean it up and put it back in again. If there isn't anything visibily wrong with it, could it still be old enough that it shrunk a little? I am just confused, unless I see the problem, I really don't know how to fix it.

Thanks for any info....

if the threads are leaking you can seal them with a teflon sealant that you can get from a G.M. dealer. but you have to remove the pump. might as well replace it while it is off.

I use a product called 'Indian Head gasket cement' comes in a small 3oz bottle. Clean the threads, put some on the threads using the supplied applicator and reinstall it. I also use this on the first 2" or so of every hose to seal the joint and on both sides of every gasket, been using it for years. Stuff works great and is about $1.50 a bottle...

I think the sealing route is the way I am going to go.

Don't have the cash for the water pump right now, but I will take my chances.

New water pumps aren't that expensive, a new one with a lifetime warrantee can be had for $25.

--Matt

brenttrf said:
Don't have the cash for the water pump right now, but I will take my chances.

Since $$$ are an issue, if can get the pipe out and reseal it you should be fine. If the threads are boogered up when you get it appart, fix it the redneck way. Clean it the best you can and get all the antifreeze or oil off and coat it with JB Weld and screw it back in the best you can. Either let it sit 24 hours before reinstalling or make sure the wife is gone and put it in the oven at 225 for an hour or so. Wives are cranky about putting car parts in their ovens for the most part. 29 years ago when I first got married, my wife opened up the dishwasher and found a carb washing. I still hear about that to this day. By the way, Calgonite works wonders for cleaning carbs and throttle bodies in the dishwasher, just make sure and rinse it well after the wash and don't let it go through the dry cycle. I actually had a dishwasher in my old shop for cleaning parts. Got it for $30 from an installer. Best tool I had.

The JB Weld'ed part will be as good or better than new. The only issue is that if and when you get a new pump, the threaded part does not come with the pump and you will need to scrounge a new one because the old one will be there to stay.

brenttrf said:
About 2 weeks ago my wifes 2k XJ started leaking from the watr pump. On closer exam, I saw that it was leaking from the L-shaped black pipe that comes off the top of the pump. It was leaking from the threads as if it was unscrewing or loose.I don't know the name of it or what it does, but it attaches to a rubber hose which attaches back at the firewall. I did some trouble shooting and found that it only leaks when the A/C is on. So we haven't been running it and it has been fine. I need to fix it, so, I pulled it apart yeterday adn tha pipe was on very tight and it doesn''t look to be damaged at all. It has some red gunk on it, so it looks like it was set in there with locktight, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be any sealer or gasket anywhere, and it looks to be in perfect condition.

Any ideas? I am stumped to whether or not to replace this thing or just clean it up and put it back in again. If there isn't anything visibily wrong with it, could it still be old enough that it shrunk a little? I am just confused, unless I see the problem, I really don't know how to fix it.

Thanks for any info....

That L-shaped metal hose that's attached to the top passenger side of the water pump leads to a rubber hose that goes along the passenger side of the valve cover to the 4-port heater valve. It's threaded into the water pump so it's most likely that it's leaking from the thread. Just unscrew the hose from the water pump, clean the thread, apply some white PVA plumbing tape over the thread, and screw it back in again. That should stop the leak and you'll still be able to remove the hose again if the water pump needs replacing later on.

Back