• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM gas skid versions?

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
A friend here offered to sell me an OEM gas tank skid that he had bought and did not fit his pre '96. Great! It's bound to fit my '01. Well not exactly. We pushed it up to my tank (without dropping the factory hitch) and the holes are WAY off centers. The leading corner on the passenger side was also clipped off at about a 45* angle. There also appeared to be an excessive gap between the tank and the skid as well as what appeared to be slits for the tank fastening straps at the extream outside edges. Unfortunatly, the skid was pulled by the bone yard so we can't say exactly, but it did say Cherokee on it.

Anybody out there able to shed any light on this? Pics would be great.
TIA

The old style has no 45* corners -- all corners (in plan view) are square.

The '97+ version has the right front corner rounded (radiused), to replace the stock gas tank heat shield. It isn't clipped at a 45* angle, it is rounded.

What you describe is not an OEM Cherokee skid plate. Might be from a Grand Cherokee, I've never looked at one of those so wouldn't know if it was OEM or not.

Sell it and but the 97+ versoin or aftermarket. The 97+ skid is pretty damn beefy

Back