• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JeepFreak21, question about your D44

cLAYH

NAXJA Forum User
I've thinking about doing a D44 for awhile now and have been contempalting a long arm kit at the same time. I like your setup, nice and clean and simple. Have a few questions though.

First off hows it working out for you? Any problems? Would you change anything? The point at which the arms attach at the crossmember seems pretty low, do you bang them much?

The pinion angle seems pretty sharp, any vibes? Why didn't you make the upper arms adjustable?

What did you make the arms out of? Tube thickness, size, thread etc?

I see the upper end of the trackbar has a tierod joint, hows that holding up?

What did you use for a front diff?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for the great pics.

cLAYH said:
First off hows it working out for you? Any problems? Would you change anything? The point at which the arms attach at the crossmember seems pretty low, do you bang them much?
I still haven't done any real testing... I'm still trying to work the bugs out. The mounts hang VERY low. I'm trying to get a better design drawn up now. Not sure if I'll get it done before everything else is finished or not.

cLAYH said:
The pinion angle seems pretty sharp, any vibes? Why didn't you make the upper arms adjustable?
I've fixed the pinion angle (cut and turned the knuckles) and made the uppers adjustable since that last thread.

cLAYH said:
What did you make the arms out of? Tube thickness, size, thread etc?
uppers are 1.75" OD, .120" wall DOM, 1.25" B7 Grade allthread, and tube adapters
lowers are 2" OD, .250" wall DOM, 1.25" B7 grade allthread and tube adapters
bushings are all poly bushings at the axle end and large RE superflex joints at the crossmember

cLAYH said:
I see the upper end of the trackbar has a tierod joint, hows that holding up?
Currently the trackbar has 1 small RE superflex joint and 1 poly bushing, but next week it will have (2) 3/4" hiems

cLAYH said:
What did you use for a front diff?
It's a 44 from a '76 F250

If I could do it over, I would find a high pinion 44 that doesnt' have the cast leaf pad on it. I'd use the RE bracket kit and TJ arms. I'm a little sick of trial and error w/o even getting on the trail :)
Billy

Thanks for the reply. Another couple questions;

Why did you decide to stack the mounts above each other? Just ease of fabrication or does it offer another advantage?

Did you have to cut your old mounts off?

What did you use to make your cuts? Plasma?

Thanks.

Last edited:
cLAYH said:
Thanks for the reply. Another couple questions;

Why did you decide to stack the mounts above each other? Just ease of fabrication or does it offer another advantage?

Did you have to cut your old mounts off?

What did you use to make your cuts? Plasma?

Thanks.

I put the upper right above the lower because I didn't have room to make the bridge over the pumpkin and I didn't feel comfortable welding to castfor the upper mount. I don't think this was the best way to go. TJ arms sit nice and out of the way. I did cut my old mounts off - the arms were resting on my old body side lower control arm mounts before I did. I did most of the cuts with an angle grinder and chop saw, but the brackets with rounded corners were plasma cutter.
Billy

Back