• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balanced suspension ??????????

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
This is the first spring/summer that I havent modified the XJ,Ive just been mad at it and busy with other things!Anyway Ive lost the balance front to rear with my current set-up(rear is definately bound up compared to the front)!I need a rear spring/shackle set-up to match the front!I had asked awhile back about the Currie springs but never got much feedback!

If you're interested in building instead of buying (and have the fab skills) why not check out the pick and pull for longer leaf packs. Find some from several different vehicles and mix and match until you find what you want. Of course with a longer leaf you will need a dog-leg shackle (sp?) and maybe even a relocated leaf eye mount.

I've learned a lot about leaf spring set-ups by reading Goatman's posts about properly tuned leafs, search for his user name or leaf spring tuning and you will find a lot more about this. Also check out what Capt. Nemo did to accomodate a longer leaf.

I need someone who has experiance with a similar set-up! Ive been hangin out here for about +3 years and read almost every post,but you dont think about "your" needs till they arise! If you have seen my profile/homepage youll know that I build all my own crap,I just dont have the time to "experiment",as in "trial and error".

RCP Phx said:
This is the first spring/summer that I havent modified the XJ,Ive just been mad at it and busy with other things!Anyway Ive lost the balance front to rear with my current set-up(rear is definately bound up compared to the front)!I need a rear spring/shackle set-up to match the front!I had asked awhile back about the Currie springs but never got much feedback!

We can't tell you anything unless you tell us what you already have, and what kind of wheeling you do. :)

Also, exactly why don't you think your current suspension is balanced?

I think the rear leaf set-up on most XJ's is very good. Usually the front maxes out before the rear starts to flex very well on most set-ups, but the rear still flexes very well in those cases.

It keeps things nice and stable back there, while still doing what you want. I suggest getting a torsion style swaybar in the front and see what happens. it'll stiffen it up a bit up there. Keep the swaybar arms long as to keep its spring rate down, and keep redrilling it shorter until you have a nice rate up there that closely balances out the front to rear. It should work, but I don't have experience with them on an XJ. check out www.rockequipment.com for a nice setup. _nicko_

Im running RE1345's and 1462's w/ a +3/4" shackle.Out here we do nothing but rock-crawling.The rear is stiff compared to the front and doesnt flex as well as the front!
ron.jpg

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Im running RE1345's and 1462's w/ a +3/4" shackle.Out here we do nothing but rock-crawling.The rear is stiff compared to the front and doesnt flex as well as the front!

Sorry, bro'.....I'm not a parts catalog, I have no idea what those part numbers mean. :)

I'm more familiar with what lift they give. BTW, how does your rig ride? How does it do carrying a bunch of weight in the back?

Two ways towards more balanced flex front to back are to soften up the rear leaves or stiffen up the front coils. XJ's can be comfortable with a pretty stiff coil up front (what is available on the market). Rear leaves can be strong, to carry a load, but will flex well if the friction is minimized.

The RE1345's are the 4.5"ZJ springs and the RE1462's are the 4.5"XJ Rear springs.They net about 6.25",there is nothing wrong with the ride loaded/un-loaded it just doesnt flex with the front!

DSCF0008.JPG

I have almost the same setup in the rear, except for a long shackle. The Daystar 1.5" lift one, 6" from bolt center to bolt center.

As you can see I really haave no problems stuffing my 33's, I have well trimmed rear fenders and they get in ther pretty well. The spring still has some arch to it. They don't lay completely flat.

Now on the other side. I don't get very much much droop. Maybe due to the arch of the spring and I know I ca still get about 1/2" - 1" from the shocks. New shocks or relocate mounts.

Now I have added about a 1" lift x 7" long block. I haven't wheeled it yet, but I have noticed me RE's starting to sag about 1/2". The block will give me an extra 1" of droop in the rear.

RCP Phx said:
The RE1345's are the 4.5"ZJ springs and the RE1462's are the 4.5"XJ Rear springs.They net about 6.25",there is nothing wrong with the ride loaded/un-loaded it just doesnt flex with the front!

Spring wise, that should be a decently balanced setup. How much shock travel do you have left in the back, at both full stuff and full droop? Do you think you need more compression in the back, or more droop?

Goatman said:
We can't tell you anything unless you tell us what you already have, and what kind of wheeling you do. :)

Also, exactly why don't you think your current suspension is balanced?

What are leaf springs...I dont think I have those thingies on my XJ....:) And I have to never worry about breaking a main leaf, spring wrap, or any of the leaf spring problems...now I MIGHT have some other problems...mentaly....:)

JOe

Back