• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Speakers Suck!

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 Cherokee has two stock speakers in the tailgate and two oversized Pioneer ones in the front that rattle pretty badly, I fastened them with deck screws. What size aftermarket ones should I buy to use factory screw holes? What brand do you guys recommend for replacing?

Last edited:
5 1/4 speakers are stock all around. Go MB quart or go home.

Last edited:
imma honky said:
5 1/4 speakers are stock all around. Go MB quart or go home.

Yeah, MB quarts are great, but they cost a fortune.

I'm not a big fan of Sony car audio. I've have really good luck with Alpine, Infiniti, and Polk Audio, not necessarily in that order.

Atl XJ said:
Yeah, MB quarts are great, but they cost a fortune.

I'm not a big fan of Sony car audio. I've have really good luck with Alpine, Infiniti, and Polk Audio, not necessarily in that order.
I run infinity's...... I've had some bad luck with polk so i gave up on them. I have yet to try Alpines (non-subs) though.

let me know what you end up with and how they soundmaybe i will invest in new ones.i have the stock locations and installed a sound bar some years ago, but am definately due for an upgrade, but its not my daily driver.

Hi have a '89 Laredo. 5-1/4 inch front and rear.

Depends what your budget is! But last year tore out the factory Jenson speakers the were falling apart and installed CDT Audio Coaxial speakers. I kept the rear stock size of 5-1/4 inch - but in front moved the speaker hole forward a few inches and installed 6-1/2" speakers - did a lot of cutting.

The sound is excellent - for the price range. Excellent highs - not harsh but smooth. The whole package - front and rear speakers came to about $130.00. It was the best bang for the buck and at the time money was a little tight. If I had to do it all over I would go for same package.

Here's some links:

I have these in back:

http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1080 Excellent Prices

I have these in front:

http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1087

More links:

http://online-caraudio.com/car_stereo/cdtaudio/CL5x_coaxial.htm

http://audio-n-more.com/cdt_audio/cdt_classic_series.shtml

Last edited:
I run 4 pioneers 5 1/4 and they sound decent. Affordable. If I were you I would do like Johnny V said and try to fit some larger ones in the rear. When I get the chance I plan on stuffing 6x9s in the rear hatch. The factory Jensen in dash tweeters in my Laredo still work fine and if you have those I wouldn't really worry about replacing them.

Dont have to worry about replacing the tweeters because my Pioneer doesnt have them. I put 6.5 in my front doors with deck screws (leaving the hole size the same) and they sound decent but rattle pretty bad cause the screws dont hold em real tight. I think Im gonna downgrade to 5.25's everywhere because theyll be affixed the tightest. Im just looking for a decent set.

You can't screw into the sheet metal of the door - the screws will not hold and/or vibrate loose. I installed plywood in the door and screwed the speaker to the wood. In sound install lingo it's called a "Baffle".

Of course I had to cut a hole for my speakers!

You could keep the Pioneer speakers and just install a plywood baffle - then screw into that - it will hold!

Last edited:
Thats not too bad of an idea I think I might do that for the fronts and just get some new 5.25s for the back.Thanks a lot!

Check out my homepage...
I've put 6.5" in the front doors and 6x9" in the rear hatch.

I used a rotozip to make the speakers fit in the rear and the 6.5" in the front use the original mounting holes. No modification to the door at all.

I have Polk Audio in my jeep, stock size, all the way around and they sound great. They have pretty good size magnets on them and they rattle my mirrors pretty good with just the speakers and still dont crack or make any bad noises, just crisp clean music... or whatever ya listen to.

I think I'm gonna go Blaupunkt my dad has a factory Blaupunkt system in his Porsche and it's pretty awesome! If anyone has heard awful things about them please tell me but otherwise I found my problem.

mb quarts suck ever since they were bought out. they are not worth the hefty price tag.

i have alpine in the front and infinity (aftermarket not crappy stock) in the rear. alpines are much better.

the alpines were worth it, make sure you dynomat, cheap rip-off actually, everywhere you can. especially the entire front door.

XJ91 said:
the 6.5" in the front use the original mounting holes. No modification to the door at all.

I second that, I have Infiniti Reference 6.5s in my front doors (I think they are 6002s) and they fit, but I had to play with it a little bit and drill two new holes. It wasn't a big deal at all though. The 6.5s go much lower and play louder than the 5.25s do.

I've got Infinity Kappa's all the way around in my 98. Put 6.5" component sets up front. Didn't have any of the Infinity stock stuff, so I had a spot just on the inside of the rear-views to put the tweeters. The 98's have the rear speakers up on the ceiling. I've got 5.25" 2-way Kappas back there. It's all hooked up to a 5-channel Alpine amp that is installed between the interior panel and the rear, passenger quarter panel. I put binder posts in the interior panel to hook my sub box to. Had all that hooked up to an Alpine mp3 head unit. Then my XJ got broken into. They stole the head unit and the sub.

Now I'm running off of the stock head unit. It's not nearly as nice, and it's just a tape player. I had an old Blaupunkt 6-disc changer that I installed so I can listen to CD's. I also have my XM tuner installed temporarily until I can get a second cradle permanently installed. It uses a tape adapter. The Blaupunkt uses a FM modulator.

Those of you who mentioned putting dynamat in the doors, how did you go about doing that? Does it really help that much?

Jeepguy1990:

I'm just curious -- if it's incorrectly-sized aftermarket Pioneer speakers that are causing the rattling, and you already know this, why is your post entitled "Stock speakers suck"? Your problem isn't caused by stock speakers.

The stock speakers aren't the greatest in the world, but my '88 still has the stock speakers and I'm on the second Kenwood stereo (the first now belongs to some crackhead in New Haven, who helped himself one day in my company's parking lot). They sound okay as long as I don't crank up the volume too much, but after 16 years I wouldn't consider them defective if they all blew tomorrow. They were designed to operate with a low-power stock radio.

I'm going to repeat what I wrote in another of your threads: Your Jeep is a 1990. It's 14 years old. Things wear out. Why do you persist in characterizing normal deterioration as "problems" and making it sound like the Jeep is crap -- especially if the problem isn't even related to a Jeep OEM part? I'm not trying to flame you, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from on this.

Eagle this is kind of getting old so I'm going to say this again....keep in mind this doesn't pertain to stock speakers and I realize that. Cherokees do have similar problems after they get old, I realize my junker is old but I have learned from the little experience I have that they have very similar problems. I'm not saying Jeep is crap. I'm not saying youre wrong for criticizing me and I realize that obviousely you do know a lot more about stuff than I do but lay off for a while! JAYSUS, MARY AND JOSEPH!
BTW: My tailgate that has stock speakers sounds horrible so yes stock speakers do suck! I'm 15 and may not know a lot about mechanics of cars but I DO know when the sound coming from a speaker sucks!

Last edited:
Back